• Page:

TOPIC:

In tank Fuel Screen 6 years 4 months ago #18095

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
I'm still trying to source an in tank fuel tap filter for my 86 Voyager. I occasionally see aftermarket taps (with screens) for Kawasaki's on eBay (e.g. Fuel Tap ) The spec is that centre to centre bolt spacing is 34mm. Does anyone happen to have their tank off or has a spare tank that they can measure and post the tap bolt spacing? Thanks
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bucko.

In tank Fuel Screen 6 years 4 months ago #18096

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
I have my tank off but it's 1/2 full so didn't pull the shut-off - But an eye-ball measurement gives a measurement of 44-45mm center to center. Unfortunately, like most, I removed the in-tank screen a LONG time ago. Regrettably, now. I've never seen these screens for sale anywhere. I've looked at making something several times but haven't figured that out yet. The in-tank screen would prevent damage to the valve-cone and body from any foreign material scratching the surfaces but a separate in-line filter is still strongly recommended.
I can only presume that your OEM valve leaks! This can sometimes be fixed if the scratches aren't to deep in either the nylon valve-cone or tapered bore.
I "lapped" mine some time ago and it now shuts off with no leaks. Easy to do - nothing to lose by trying and if it works you keep another OEM part !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bucko

Last edit: by scotch.

In tank Fuel Screen 6 years 4 months ago #18099

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
I haven't had the tap in my hand yet, but I would imagine the mesh could be crafted. Scotch - if you could manufacture a carb float, this should be within your skill! I'd take brass, cut a rib cage from it, and solder fine stainless steel mesh to it. I've combined soldering copper, brass and stainless steel in the past, and they all stick together strong.

In tank Fuel Screen 6 years 4 months ago #18100

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
I guess the seed has been planted:huh:
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

In tank Fuel Screen 6 years 4 months ago #18101

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

scotch wrote: ... The in-tank screen would prevent damage to the valve-cone and body from any foreign material scratching the surfaces...

Yes, this is exacly why I'd like to get a screen put back in.

scotch wrote: ...
I can only presume that your OEM valve leaks! This can sometimes be fixed if the scratches aren't to deep in either the nylon valve-cone or tapered bore.

No leaks yet. I initially took the tap apart to clean it because it wouldn't' move. I managed to clean out the crud and free the tap without any damage but it's a poor design as crud from the tank continues to collect in the valve cone/bore and make it inoperable (it's already stuck again). A better design - even with the screen in place - would have included a small sediment bowl - like most taps - under the valve cone. At this point, I don't want to risk moving it - as it'll scratch the tap bore as you suggest.

PS: thanks for eyeballing the screw spacing.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

In tank Fuel Screen 6 years 4 months ago #18103

• roadhazard
  • Thank you received: 6
I get 43.5mm center to center when i measure my spare OEM petcock
1980 Kz 1300 b2 touring
1980 kz 1300 A2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bucko

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds