Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fuel Solenoid Query 6 years 5 months ago #17494

• Tonto
  • Tonto's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Guys, having an intermittent issue with fueling / running that happens after initial start up: my bike fires up gets warm, then after a mile or so, it feels like petrol starvation and / or running on too few cylinders !. When I coax her back to life, after a further mile or so the engine runs absolutely spot on, until I stop and re-start, then the gremlin may or may nor re-appear.

I run a pingel fuel tap which flows OK, there are no kinks in any fuel hoses, the carbs have had a very through rebuild not too long ago (genuine Mikuni parts etc) and she does carburate very well from zero revs to the red line. Ive fitted new coils, checked every electrical connector on the bike. I've even had my Igniter unit tested and run on another Z13 with no fault found (thanks to Oz at Zed Parts) - but still the intermittent gremlin keeps coming back :S :pinch:

Struggling to bottom this one - was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the OEM fuel solenoid: I thought it was a simple on / off device and can't really see it being the cause, but was curious to see if anyone else has had issues with the Solenoid, or have simply removed them.?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel Solenoid Query 6 years 5 months ago #17495

• paulb
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Tim
most people have junked the fuel solenoid[including me] because it has a habit of shutting off fuel flow at the most awkward time it happened to me in the fast lane of the m11 but thats another story.
I had similar issues with mine and it turned out to be crap blocking the fuel filter which would caused the bike to splutter to a halt after a few seconds it would fire up and run as if nothing was wrong and i assume what ever crap was in there fell off the filter and allowed fuel through obviously as i was driving along it would be sucked onto the filter again i cleaned the filter and all was well
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tonto

Fuel Solenoid Query 6 years 5 months ago #17496

• McZee
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
Had the same problem. I removed the solenoid, fitted a pingel fuel valve, turned the fuel inlet on the carbs upwards and reconnected the fuel line. I've had no more problems since.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tonto, Kawboy

Fuel Solenoid Query 6 years 5 months ago #17497

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
I did the same as well. Got rid of the solenoid and fitted a pingel because the original was leaking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tonto

Fuel Solenoid Query 6 years 5 months ago #17508

• Tonto
  • Tonto's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Thanks chaps - think I will bypass the solenoid and direct feed from the pet cock - Fingers crossed it banishes the gremlin .
Cheers Tim.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Fuel Solenoid Query 6 years 5 months ago #17524

• LareNurminen
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 162
I do not trust the original petcock, it tends to leak. I always install a second, manual shut-off valve. I leave the original in reserve and use the new valve to close fuel feed.
Fuel leaking into cylinder can cause hydraulic lock and engine damage.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds