Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Carb float level bowl drain check 6 years 6 months ago #17498

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
I have had the same no start issue twice. Both times I let the bike sit for a week or more. Both times I knew I was going to ride so I made sure my trickle charger on it over night. In both cases I decided to go for a ride on my other bike when it wouldn't start. When I came back a few hours later it started perfectly with a touch of the starter. My carbs are coming off and getting a complete overhaul over the winter from a professional. This is just one of many issues with the carbs and my abilities just aren't cutting it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb float level bowl drain check 6 years 6 months ago #17501

• Akz1300
  • Akz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
I did manage to start mine after a bit of tweaking from advice posted, but now leaving for 5 days before trying again incase a fluke! I think then I'm looking at the balancing rods adjustment and a bracket profile . I do understand what you mean it's so frustrating when you wanna go out & the bloody thing won't start, I even had a car battery hooked up but hopefully moving on from all that. Good luck !

Carb float level bowl drain check 5 years 11 months ago #19592

• Daro
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Hi i seem to have a problem setting my carbis float level right. I did what the manual said 6.5-8.5 mm from the bottom edge of the carburetor body. I have constant problems with fuel, like yesterday i rode 50 km everything seams normal, and today got on the bike hit the launch button and crap, two cylinders not firing 2 and 5. So back in the garage quick check, spark plugs flooded. changed them same again, changed coil, cylinder 2 not firing. The question is :the fuel level is meant to be measured from the sealing surface of the carburetor above the gasket or from the small edge sticking down? I'm sure i am doing something wrong. On the top of that i build my own bras floats, but i guess they not causing problems. On the picture is my fuel level and the bend shape is representing surface tension of the fuel in the plastics pipe. Any help is highly appreciated.I forgot to add the idle screws are 3,5 turns out.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Daro.

Carb float level bowl drain check 5 years 11 months ago #19625

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Nice work on the Floats !!!

From your photo, the level is too high by about 2mm. Measure from the bottom edge of the carb body .
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: biltonjim, Daro

Last edit: by scotch.

Carb float level bowl drain check 5 years 11 months ago #19690

• Daro
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 78
Hi Scotch, sorry for the late reply, I have been away to my parents place 1,1k away from home to help out, no internet and all that. Thanks for the info on fuel level, i have set it up the way You said and voilĂ  ! Different bike all together, some of the spark plugs seem to be a little too ash white to me and others little to dark, but engine temperature stays rather "cold" (less than the middle of the scale on the temp indicator) and when warm slight difficulty starting her up, so it seems to be a little bit flooded. I don't have color tune to see directly what the burning process look like but with spark plugs reading i can manage to bring the settings quiet close to optimum. All idles are 3,5 turn out. So once again Thank You for help on that matter, i have been stack measuring wrong the level from above the gasket surface, i have to say that the picture in the manual is for me some what misleading, i must admit. Different mater now, I bought once carbs set on e-bay, and one of the bodies was actually damage "beyond repair" so to say, and so i drilled out all the brass balls which are blocking passages being drilled at the factory and i have discovered two places which are metered, in one place its just body aluminum and the other one have brass inserts in theme. I thought it may be interesting for You, don't know if You have done this so far. One of theme was actually partly blocked so the fuel must have had difficulties going through the hole and so supplying the idle and mid range system. I attach the photos with my new fuel level and also with the metered channels in the carb bodies. And the floats, yeah i made the attempt to fabricate something my self and it turn out ok, but that was not exactly the first model which You saw on the pictures :-). And at the end, the bike in full glory !!! Thank again for You time Scotch.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Carb float level bowl drain check 5 years 11 months ago #19691

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Well I'm impressed. Not everybody would dive into a carb to the extent you have. Kudos Brother !!.
Usually the brasss or lead plugs are access points for machining and not points where jets are buried. I have drilled out plugs to clear blocked passages, but never found metering jets internal to the passages. Good of you to share the photos and I know Scotch will be "all over this" Knowing that these metering jets are in there will help us when flushing out the carbs.

Thanks again
KB

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds