• Page:

TOPIC:

poor running when hot 6 years 7 months ago #17252

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Right replaced the damaged screws with allen heads and tightened the carb rubbers up and it has now become apparent that i have a slight leak where the carb inlet rubbers are bolted to the engine, is there any sort or sealant that i can smear around the joint ideally i would like to leave the carbs on as it seems to be quite small

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

poor running when hot 6 years 7 months ago #17261

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
My personal preference is a product called high vacum grease. It's a silicone based grease and has a high viscosity. I like to smear it on the inside of the rubber intake manifold and also under the clamps. I'll bet money on the fact that your "leak" is showing up at the area where the clamp ends pinch together. That's common with the intake manifold getting pinched together by the clamp. if you "lubricate" the inside and the clamp area on the intake rubber and then draw up the clamp, the rubber will draw in nice and concentric on the carb. Now don't you wish the service manual mentioned this?

poor running when hot 6 years 7 months ago #17262

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Thanks Kawboy, i think my leak i now coming from where the intake manifold mates the the engine face

poor running when hot 6 years 7 months ago #17264

• kiwirider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi i have just had the same problem just sealed them up with a sealant from wurth and done away with the standard manifold clamps and used stainless hose clamps worked perfect
2018 Harley cvo ultra 1982 cbx1000 1980 gsx1100 2012 gtr1400 cx500 turbo 1977 suzuki gt750

Last edit: by kiwirider.

poor running when hot 6 years 7 months ago #17271

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

paulb wrote: Thanks Kawboy, i think my leak i now coming from where the intake manifold mates the the engine face

Sorry, I missed that one. Guess my eyes were reading faster than my brain.

OK- intake manifold to intake tract joint. You could use a high temp silicone based sealant. Not sure what Kiwi suggested. Werth is not a product I'm familiar with. Personally, I would shy away from gooping something around the outside, but I get it, taking those bloody carbs off again is a pain in the rear. The biggest problem here is probably the intake manifolds are old and hard. The silicone based sealant will remain plyable and should relieve the issue for you.

poor running when hot 6 years 7 months ago #17274

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Years ago, when trying to get things right ( turned out to be sinking floats) I removed the carb-to-head adapters, cleaned the mating surfaces thoroughly, made a gasket for each and used Permatex High Tac gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket. I used Allen-heads to secure the adapter to the intake runners on the cyl.-head.. Leak proof!
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds