TOPIC:

poor running when hot 6 years 7 months ago #17197

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi
after some advice about my A1 it runs fine initially but after a while [about 4 miles] it starts to bog down and feels like it is running rich it feels like carbs to me but i cannot understand why it initially runs fine, i checked the inlet rubbers and they are leaking slightly but i wouldve thought this would have the opposite effect , i cannot tighten them because previous owner has destroyed the screw heads[does anyone know what size jubilee clips will fit] so i am in the process of getting some new ones
any help gratefully recieved
Paulb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

poor running when hot 6 years 7 months ago #17204

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
If the screw heads are good enough to loosen them - then I would take them out and replace just the screws with Allen/socket head bolts. Much easier to tighten with a long ball headed Allen key
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1

poor running when hot 6 years 7 months ago #17205

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

zed_thirteen wrote: If the screw heads are good enough to loosen them - then I would take them out and replace just the screws with Allen/socket head bolts. Much easier to tighten with a long ball headed Allen key

I agree with Zed_Thirteen here. Those clamps are specific to the 1300 carbs/ or throttle bodies. Allen head screws have a smaller diameter head than a standard philip head screw and will probably fit the clamp beter. The long ball driver would be the ticket for access and tightening.

It would be prudent to mention that the stock screws on most Japanese bikes are JIS standard screws. JIS is short for Japanese Industrial Standard which is one of the many forms of the Philip head screw. It would be in everyone's interest to invest in a set of JIS screwdrivers or screwdriver bits if you plan on working on these bikes. Best $20 you'll ever spend. JIS screws have a small dimple punched on the head of the screw to indicate the JIS standard See picture.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Kawboy.

poor running when hot 6 years 7 months ago #17210

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137

Kawboy wrote:

zed_thirteen wrote: It would be in everyone's interest to invest in a set of JIS screwdrivers or screwdriver bits if you plan on working on these bikes. Best $20 you'll ever spend.

Absolutely agree on the JIS screwdrivers. I bought a set of three and they are amazing

1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

poor running when hot 6 years 7 months ago #17213

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Yes the JIS drivers work appreciably better than the standard Phillips. I finally got a full set only a few weeks ago and now I'm wondering why it took me so long to get a set.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

poor running when hot 6 years 7 months ago #17241

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Yes, thanks for that little tidbit! I'll be getting myself a set asap. Just bought a nice set of socket drive allen keys. So much easier to use now with extensions etc.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds