• Page:

TOPIC:

ZN1300 idle pulsing 6 years 9 months ago #16881

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Occasionally, my ZN13 idle pulses between about 800 and 1000 rpm. It's subtle but I can see it on the tach and feel it. Seem to happen when it gets hot - as in stop and go traffic on a hot day. Anyone else experience this and if so is there a typical culprit I should be looking for?
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ZN1300 idle pulsing 6 years 9 months ago #16882

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
PS: Should mention that I'm not getting any error codes.

ZN1300 idle pulsing 6 years 9 months ago #16894

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I was hoping that one of the ZN owners would chirp in here but seeings how they haven't I'll give you a couple of ideas.
The ZN runs a closed loop fuel injection system. It monitors engine temp, air temp, throttle position and intake pressure to pick a fuel map to follow. On most automobiles, the injection system is an open loop, meaning that the computer monitors all of the above plus exhaust O2 and the computer alters the fuel map accordingly. So when the ZN has a problem and it's not related to a faulty input signal, the computer cannot compensate.
In an emgine running a carburetor, when the fuel ratio is running lean, it will show up at idle with a fluctuating idle similar to what you're describing. So back to the ZN, you're not getting any fault codes and yet you have an issue. You need to look at the fuel pressure regulator and check if it's in spec. Plugged injectors will also cause a problem since the computer is pulsing a value of "X" at idle based on the program but the injectors aren't putting out the right amount of fuel based on a pulse of "X". also if the throttle position sensor is not properly adjusted the computer is not being told the right information to determine what signal to pulse the injectors.
For the record, I haven't worked on the ZN injection system but have vast knowledge on multiple injection systems and can pretty much work my way through most of them based on components of the systems.
Hope these thoughts provoke some testing.

ZN1300 idle pulsing 6 years 9 months ago #16903

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for your suggestions Kawboy.
I thought that it might be a bit of a vacuum leak but I think I've eliminated that option using the 'quickstart' fog test.

I was thinking that it might be dirty injectors or a bad fuel batch and to complicate things a bit, the bike hasn't been run much over the last year and even less in the years before that. I added some injector cleaner to the tank and after a 100kms or so of driving the idle oscillations died down some. I can still here the RPMs going up and down slightly but it's not visible on the tach. I'll run a few more tanks of injector cleaner through it and see what that brings.

ZN1300 idle pulsing 6 years 9 months ago #16909

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
OK. Wishful thinking! The pulsing is back. I don't think the injector cleaner did anything.

ZN1300 idle pulsing 6 years 9 months ago #16931

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
May well be worth carrying out a throttle body synchronisation (exactly the same as syncing carbs) & take things from there.
Only dead fish go with the flow

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds