Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

ZN1300 Fuel Tap stuck 6 years 8 months ago #16876

• Bucko
  • Bucko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
My ZN1300 fuel tap appears to be stuck in the 'reserve' position. Not really a big deal since the fuel gauge appears to work properly but I'm a bit of an old school guy and would like to take advantage of the 'reserve' option. Anyone else have this problem and if so, how did you fix it?
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ZN1300 Fuel Tap stuck 6 years 8 months ago #16883

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
If the valve is stock then do not force it !!!!!! Needs removing and cleaning. If it is forced then the potential debris that I suspect is in it, can damage the Nylon valve cone and tapered bore, by scratching/ gouging the surfaces. These gouges will create a path for fuel and the valve will leak. A repair is possible. More when you let us know what the parts look like. Some clear photos will be of help.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.

ZN1300 Fuel Tap stuck 6 years 8 months ago #16885

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks scotch.

I'll investigate further when I have the tank off next; for now I'll leave it as is.

ZN1300 Fuel Tap stuck 6 years 8 months ago #16917

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Took the tank off today and pulled the tap. I was wrong, the tap was in the 'on' position. In any case, there was some debris in the reserve position tap hole. Cleaned out the hole with some brake cleaner and managed to gently press out the plastic valve (without any apparent damage) after using some brake cleaner to loosen it up. Cleaned up the inner surface of the tap with a brass brush on a dremmel and it all went back together nicely and now works (and doesn't leak). One thing I realized after I put the tap back in the tank was that there was no on-the-tap screen/filter. I thought there should be one and the Partzilla parts diagram shows one although there's no part number listed for it as it seems to be part of the tap assembly. Should there have been a screen/filter on the tap? For all I know, the original filter is floating around somewhere inside the tank - it was definitely not on the tap when I pulled it out of the tank. Anyone know if the tap filters are available anywhere?

ZN1300 Fuel Tap stuck 6 years 8 months ago #16918

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Just a quick PS:

Operation of the tap is a bit weird to me: it seems like the 'open' end of the tap handle points to the desired position, i.e. ON, OFF, RES on the tap bezel. However the tap handle is placed over the desired bezel position marker to select that position. Totally opposite of the Hondas that I'm used to.

ZN1300 Fuel Tap stuck 5 years 11 months ago #19627

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Removed the fuel tap again today as I'm going to a swap meet in a few days where I'm hoping to find a fuel screen. Below are some measurements looking down from the top of the tap - they may prove useful when searching for a suitable tap screen. The measurements are not exact and have been rounded up/down however the recess cavity for the OEM screen (yellow 'oval') is very close to 30 x 10mm. There's a second recess (shown in green) 5mm lower than the yellow one which might also accommodate a screen. The 8mm brass pipe that feeds the 'ON' position (shown in blue) rises approximately 60mm above the tap sealing surface.

I disassembled the tap to see what's making it so stiff. Couldn't find any debris (I cleaned it out not that long ago (mile wise)), but I did notice that the tap handle protrusions on the inside of the tap - the part that locks into the slot in the actual plastic valve - didn't sit 'flush' - it was 'proud' by about 1/2 mm and 'rocked' a bit in the slot (fitting the part outside of the tap body). This has the effect of increasing pressure on the plastic valve when the tap face bezel is screwed on. I filed the protrusion down - just the minimum so that the tap handle sits flush on the plastic valve and now the tap turns easier. I haven't put the tap back in service yet so it may turn stiff again when fuel hit's it - I'll update later about that.

Last edit: by Bucko.
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds