Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cold Starts are very hard 6 years 9 months ago #16733

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello; I just purchased a 1984 Voyager ZN1300 with DFI. It starts very hard. what i mean is the only way to get it to go is shut the gas off open the throttle wide open and crank it for about 4 minutes hooked to a boost!! Once it starts it is fine. i can drive it all over and it starts on half a flop!!. This only occurs on cold starts. It is running a bit ritch!! I know this because the ends of the exhaust pipes are black! I have been told that it could be the air temperature sensor could be the problem as this problem did not show up until the warmer weather started. My problem is i do not know where the air temp sensor is or what it looks like. Have any of you ever had this type of issue? And there is no error codes on the DFI control box or the dash.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cold Starts are very hard 6 years 9 months ago #16735

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
What you're describing is typical of leaking injectors that are dribbling when the bike is stopped, flooding the cylinders. If the only way you can get it going from cold is shutting off the gas then remove the injectors and have them tested and cleaned. Price in Canada for this service is $ 30.00 per injector.
Had it been a pig to start and you had to squirter fuel down the intake to get it to fire, then I would say the air temp sensor or the engine temp sensor was not talking to the Digital fuel injection computer.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Cold Starts are very hard 6 years 9 months ago #16736

• razmo99
  • Thank you received: 13
Hey Mate,

If you have a look through the ZN manual found on the home page(www.kz1300.com/modules/ServiceManuals/ZN1300SMS.pdf) Go to the section on the DFI, has a tonne of info on what to test and what order etc. If you are looking for DFI error codes, the dfi light will flash, which just tells you their is a code; go to the DFI Computer under your seat, where the connector for it is on the right side their will be an LED that will flash, long beeps and short beeps, match those up with the table in the manual if its beeping at all, to get your error code.

The air temp sensor should be a small attachment on the air box, I have a ZG1300 its on the left side of the airbox, is a small white attachment with some wires coming out

Also if its running rich check your plugs should be black in that case, I was hounding the DFI and later found out it was just bad plugs, hope this helps

Best of Luck
84 ZG1300
81 KZ1300-A3
83 GT550
90 GPZ900R
83 KZ550
81 KZ550(in parts)

Cold Starts are very hard 6 years 9 months ago #16740

• Big Daddy
Even with the gas turned off i still have the same issue. It cranks for what seems to be forever. Would that be dirty injectors? After it runs it is fine..it will start off on the first kick.

Cold Starts are very hard 6 years 9 months ago #16742

• Big Daddy
I have no error codes so i guess you are correct. I am going to look at injector cleaning. Would SeaFoam help it?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds