TOPIC:

carb rebuild kits 7 years 5 months ago #14833

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi
this probably relates more to the uk members but has anyone used/installed any of the carb kits listed on ebay, there is a set on there for about £18[about$22 i think] one of my friends brought a set and said it looks fine but has yet to install it, at the back of my mind is that it appears too cheap but i dont want to ignore what could be a bargain
many thanks
Paulb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

carb rebuild kits 7 years 5 months ago #14834

• Petez13
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
I think I can see the kit your on about and the paper gasket says made in England, so can't be that bad. A while ago (also on ebay ) I bought the kit from cruzinimage and was ok apart from the mixture screw o-rings, they were too thin. You could tell they didn't have any resistance when screwed in, but still ok for the money.

carb rebuild kits 7 years 5 months ago #14836

• paulb
  • paulb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Thanks Pete
thats the one although i hadnt noticed the made in England on the gasket until you pointed it out, interestingly the seller states all the kits are made in japan

carb rebuild kits 7 years 5 months ago #14837

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I've probably posted a similar response 4 or 5 times now to this very question. All the carb kits you'll find anywhere have nitrile orings and nitrile does not like the ethanol blended gasoline. You are far better off buying replacement orings made of Viton 75 from an oring supplier like Parker orings as an example. There are lots of suppliers out there. The ONLY other thing that you need to do the carb overhaul is the float bowl gasket and you can easily cut that from 1/16" gasket sheet material. A whole sheet ( 8-1/2" x 11") is about $5.00. As far as the rest of the "bits and pieces" that come in the kits, you can clean up the brass parts that are in your carbs with Autosol or similar metal polishing compound and just ensure that you wash the polished pieces in laquer thinner before reassembly.

All of the oring sizes are posted in the FAQ section. 3 orings for the needle seat, 3 orings for the drain screws and 6 orings for the air bleed screws should cost you about maybe $12 to $15 total. I've convinced several of our members to go this route and to the best of my knowledge, they're all happy.

(my 2 cents) no pun intended

carb rebuild kits 7 years 5 months ago #14839

• Raygun
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17

Kawboy wrote:
All of the oring sizes are posted in the FAQ section. 3 orings for the needle seat, 3 orings for the drain screws and 6 orings for the air bleed screws should cost you about maybe $12 to $15 total. I've convinced several of our members to go this route and to the best of my knowledge, they're all happy.

(my 2 cents) no pun intended

I agree with Kawboy. There really is no reason to buy new jets and other parts. They can all be cleaned up nicely. I ordered orings from theoringstore.com and in the end it was 10 bucks. I ordered more than I needed since I was rebuilding two sets of carbs.

After a thorough rebuild, bike started up and ran perfectly on all cylinders. Just a little fine tuning here and there is all.
1982 KZ1300
2003 KLX400SR
1999 KDX220
Wife
Son
Daughter
Cat x 3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Last edit: by Raygun.

carb rebuild kits 7 years 5 months ago #14843

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Well there ya go. Ten bucks to rebuild 2 sets of carbs with better than original replacement orings fully compatable with ethanol. What more could be said.

The only other thing that should be considered is the fuel line. All high pressure fuel line for the newer vehicles is compatable with the ethanol. If you have original fuel line or fuel line marked buna N or Nitrile, you should change it out for the newer high pressure fuel line. The old stuff will swell caused by the effects of the ethanol and the swelling occurs on the inside as well as the outside diameter, meaning reduced flow due to swelling.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds