• Page:

TOPIC:

2016-09-08 New Petcock Wrong Size 7 years 7 months ago #14446

• dcarver220b
  • dcarver220b's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 181
I had read on kz1300.com that another model petcock would work for kz1300. I found this one. It did NOT work and thought I'd share my mistake with other kz1300 brothers and sisters..

I was all excited and shit. Vacuum operated with 'prime' position e.g. direct flow for starting.

Hmm. First indicator something not correct. 1/4" not 5/16" output barb.

A good looking unit.

Bought some hose and a new filter.

Napa filter 3011 has 1/4" on one end, 5/16" on the other. Perfect. And cheap too!

RuhRohRollie. Completely different hole spacing. Another 50 bucks wasted.

Live and learn, yes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2016-09-08 New Petcock Wrong Size 7 years 7 months ago #14452

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
After owning and working on 1300's since 1979, I have yet to find any other fuel tap that is a direct fit onto the 1300.

There are some that "nearly" fit but have outlets in the wrong direction or are too small.

The only repalcement tap I have heard of that does actually fit is the Pingle, and you do need an adapter plate to fit it.

Numerous suppliers and EBAY sellers claim to have taps that fit..........but I can tell you their information is wrong and the dont fit.

This is one of the reasons whay I fit electric fuel pumps to my own 1300's as it means you dont need to turn the tap on or off as the pump stops the flow one the ignition is off.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

2016-09-08 New Petcock Wrong Size 7 years 7 months ago #14462

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
The pingel will fit with the adapter plate but you will have to modify the hole as it is ovoid and needs to be rounded out in the center. I emptied my tank, flipped it, filled it with water and used a stepper bit to enlarge the hole.

Make sure you clear all the gas and fill it with water so you don't make sparks that go boom with fumes.

2016-09-08 New Petcock Wrong Size 7 years 7 months ago #14466

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
I don't recall having to do anything, the adaptor was a direct bolt on and the Pingel screwed right in....

I would highly recommend you go that route Dave, much better than the OEM one.
1981 KZ1300

2016-09-08 New Petcock Wrong Size 7 years 7 months ago #14467

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Now I think of it Led, my 81 has a different tank style, so that must be the difference.

Even if you have to modify the tank, then by all means do it. I would go so far as to pull that ridiculous shut-off solenoid out and toss it in the trash can.

1981 KZ1300
Attachments:

Last edit: by Tyler.

2016-09-08 New Petcock Wrong Size 7 years 7 months ago #14469

• Ledkz1300
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Yes, the 81 does have a different style tank. I have an 81 tank but I've never taken the petcock off of it. It does leak a bit through but the 81 is parts bike so I don't care.

The 79 tank was a bit of surprise when I found the oval hole which didn't fit the round pingel tap. The instructions said use a file to widen the hole.... would have taken me days since its a double layer at the tap. I didn't want to blow up so filling it with water seemed the safest route. I'm still here so.... :woohoo:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds