Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Petrol filled 5 & 6 cylinders 7 years 8 months ago #13873

• kwak1261
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 72
i think Pete aka Straight6 suggested a very good electric fuel cut off valve on a recent post
ill see if i can find the post

Ian
Z1300 A4 ZG1300 DFI X2
Z1261J GS1000S
Vmax1200 XT500

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Petrol filled 5 & 6 cylinders 7 years 8 months ago #13874

• charlie9670
  • charlie9670's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
That would be good for peace of mind, its all too easy to forget to turn off, don't want no bent rods and more.I remember Pete said he always fits VMax type fuel pumps, I have a couple of mates who break bikes so should be able to get one suitable for next to nothing.
PS just found the gas tap does have a tiny drip when off so will strip it and inspect.
:) Z13 UK

Last edit: by charlie9670.

Petrol filled 5 & 6 cylinders 7 years 8 months ago #13875

• hillsy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25
You can use any low pressure fuel pump - search on eBay there's a heap of them (search for CBR600 ones) and they are pretty cheap.

Petrol filled 5 & 6 cylinders 7 years 8 months ago #13884

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
There are 2 issues here.

1).
A leaking fuel tap (petcock). This will result in fuel being able to pass through the tap itself even when its in the OFF position.
A very common issue and problem with the 1300. However........the fuel should only get as far as the float bowl and once its full it should stop there........and not go any further. At the end of the day, why do you think Kawasaki fitted their horrible little solenoid as standard ?????? it proves there was a problem with the tap from day one !

2).
If the fuel is filling the float bowl, then getting into the inlet manifold and onto the combustion chambers as you said it had on 5&6 then you have another issue which is either the float valve not seating correctly or the o ring on the brass float valve seat is allowing fuel past............or even both.

The standard fit fuel tap on many 1300's is a terrible design and even after replacing the rubbers and seals in them very often still leak. It is far better and safer to introduce an additional INLINE fuel tap or alternatively as mentioned earlier a good quality electric solenoid valve. The final choice is to fit an electric fuel pump (my preference) as this not only acts as a stop valve but also makes the bike start and run better too. The electric fuel pump you MUST use can only be from another BIKE with CARBS (not injection). Alternatively it must be very low PSI (nomore than 2 PSI) or it may force fuel past the float valves and cause flooding.
I use the Yamaha Vmax Pump or the one from the first R6 Models which did have carbs. Both work well. Have a look at Ebay item number 291818539727.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie9670

Last edit: by strate6.

Petrol filled 5 & 6 cylinders 7 years 8 months ago #13888

• globemaster
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 55
strate6 gave you the straight truth. Leaks past the O-ring on the brass float valve body are a common problem. If your fuel contains ethanol, those O-rings must be viton. The ethanol degrades the stock rubber O-rings and causes them to leak.

Petrol filled 5 & 6 cylinders 7 years 8 months ago #13926

• charlie9670
  • charlie9670's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Just checked the float valves and I've somehow managed to leave the retaining clamp off the offending valve, it was still in place tightly but as is always said "It's there for a reason"..almost a very costly mistake on my part. Next mistake, I ordered and recieved a 6mm in line fuel tap as it was the cheapest on ebay, I now realise I should have 8mm , it will fit and do the job with a thin pipe inside to sleeve it down but I presume it won't feed the carbs well at 100mph..Upwards and onwards , at least I understand what I'm doing wrong. :blush:
:) Z13 UK

Time to create page: 0.473 seconds