Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Getting tired of this bike running like crap 7 years 9 months ago #13162

• Ledkz1300
  • Ledkz1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 76
I almost took a sledgehammer to it tonight. I'm getting pretty fed up at this point.

Haven't received my carb rebuild kit yet but I've tuned the carbs as well as I could and yesterday it was working FANTASTIC. Finally firing on all six, all the time. No popping, not throttle hanging, lots of power.

About 30 minutes into my first full power ride it starts bucking and stalls out as if it ran out of fuel. Nope. I have a half tank left. Managed to get it started but it ran like shit and died another half km down the road. Wont fire at all. I walk to a house, get a ride from the very nice owner and get my friend with a bike trailer to come pick me up.

Once home and unloaded it starts and runs great. Of course. I figured it must have been vapor locked or something. Maybe the fuel vent isn't working as it should. I swap tanks. Bikes starts and runs perfect. Drive to gas station to fill up on supreme. Was going to take it for a nice long ride this evening. Drive home from station and all is well. I even went to a different station in case there is crap fuel at my usual place. It's about 10 minutes away.

Got on my gear, got the wife to go on her maiden voyage and the goddamn thing is misfiring and running like shit again as soon as I start it. It was working great when I shut it down. Engine wasn't even cold.

I'm at my wits end. Close to setting it on fire or lighting it up with my .50 BMG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Getting tired of this bike running like crap 7 years 9 months ago #13166

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Step 1: Back away for a day or two. Wait until you're in a good frame of mind to tackle anything.
Step 2: Bad as I am at carbs, it almost sounds like SOMETHING is getting blocked, periodically. I guess simple stuff first- are you running a fuel filter? Does your fuel line routing make sense?

I'm wondering if there's just a small piece of something that is periodically getting sucked into the carbs as you ride. Something that doesn't block fuel flow all the time, but only occasionally.

On top of (or before) that, there's the other things as well. Compression is probably okay (not one of those things that periodically goes in and out), but what about electrical? Coils okay? Connections clean? Spark plugs good? etc.

I feel for your predicament. I'm chasing carb issues right now, and it's very infuriating. One day...

Getting tired of this bike running like crap 7 years 9 months ago #13168

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
When it stops turn the fuel off and see how much drains from each bowl, that will tell you if the problem is supply to the carbs or the carbs not suppling to the engine.
These issues can take a long time to solve and you need to take a very methodical approach to it.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Getting tired of this bike running like crap 7 years 9 months ago #13169

• Mark
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
Are you running with the fuel shut off solenoid in place if so by-pass it, ensure none of your fuel supply hoses are kinked, have been here before with same symptons sounds like your carbs are not filling quick enough with fuel
17 years a Z13 owner at present 3 x A1's and an A4

Getting tired of this bike running like crap 7 years 9 months ago #13171

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
I agree with the above.

Its either something in the fuel system that blocks the flow or if not maybe something electrical.

First make sure you have removed the useless, probelmatic fuel solenoid and have a fast flow inline filter fitted.

Then as others have said, turn fuel tap off, drain your carbs, then turn fuel on and see if bowls are full.

I once had a 1300 that had a blockage in the T Piece between the carbs. I could not see it and it did let enough fuel through to let the bike sit and idle, but once I began to ride it it did exactly what yours did as the blockage took effect. I eventually found it when I had to strip carbs AGAIN !

If the bike CAN run on all 6 and runs well, then you just have an issue you need to find and you will be happy.

Please do keep us updated how you get on.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Getting tired of this bike running like crap 7 years 9 months ago #13174

• Tonto
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Ledkz, having had 10 months of constant annoying niggles with my Z13's fueling and general running I can empathize with how frustrated you must feel: but stick with it, you know she will run sweetly on all six when all is good.

Cant add much to the sound advice that's already been posted, but just a thought: I had fuel feed issues with slow bowl filling, - I thought it was my solenoid, but it was not, so I replaced all hoses and fitted a Pingel tap; which fixed the filling / flow issues (then a few weeks later my Z13 developed flooding issues which needed new float vales - dont you just love old bikes :whistle: )

Cheers Tim
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without the loss of enthusiasm " Winston Churchill.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds