• Page:

TOPIC:

Scotch, question about your floats??? 7 years 11 months ago #12298

• Tyler
  • Tyler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
I put a set of Scotch's beautifully made brass floats in last year and it seemed I had a very strange problem. The float level would "move" around. I could set it, double check everything, then come back the next day and they were different. Sometime I would start the dike and it would just drown itself in fuel at random. Not just one or two, but all three.

I'm not sure what the issue is, the float valves and seats are new. I put the stock floats in and set the levels last night I will check today and see what they look like.

Anyone ever had this happen before? It's beyond strange, I have no idea what would cause this.
1981 KZ1300

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Scotch, question about your floats??? 7 years 11 months ago #12304

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Hi Tyler. Just read your post and also have ????? The float level should (obviously) not move around as you describe. Pre-set to 7.5 mm the adjustment tab is of ample strength to retain the setting. I could suggest an issue with one float but all three seems a stretch. This sounds more like an aftermarket float-needle/float-needle retaining spring issue. It's been noted by others that aftermarket needle retaining springs are not as exact as the OEM's and have caused the needle to hang-up. Another possibility is a fuel filter that's not doing it's job and allowing fine foreign material to get to the needle seats. It takes only the smallest piece of particulate becoming trapped in the valve-body to not allow the needle and seat to seal perfectly. I have been purchasing carb-sets and rebuilding them for resale for a number of years. I have found some of the float-pin towers bent from P.O's trying to remove a seized pin. I have tried to account for this possibility in the width of the pivot-pin bushing; allowing for some minor lateral movement for those pins that are factory-true and at the same time allowing for pin towers that maybe be bent closer together due to seized pin removal. Too much lateral movement would allow the float itself to touch the inside of the carb-body which could result in the float to hang-up inconsistently. During assembly the correct spacing to avoid this concern is addressed. If the fit (tight) between the towers and the bushing causes interference this would cause the float to stick enough to give random levels. The fix in this case is as easy as narrowing the pin bushing on one or both ends with a stroke or two of a fine jewelers file, remembering to de-burr the bushing ends for a loose fit of the pin. A potential leak in one float could be a remote possibility but it would not (I believe) create an inconsistent level -rather a consistent high-level/flooding issue. All three floats? Again, very unlikely.
I would appreciate you keeping in touch with me on this matter. Although I have no concerns at this time about the integrity of the three floats themselves I none-the-less would give the problem you describe and as it may relate to the floats, consideration for replacement. If you determine a float(s) are the problem I will send you another set of three at no cost but I will require the set you now have to be returned for evaluation.
Any questions will be gladly answered.

thanks - scotch
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

Scotch, question about your floats??? 7 years 11 months ago #12306

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I do not think at this point that the floats are the problem, it may very well be the valve and seat parts are not up to spec. I'm looking into things, I will let you know.
1981 KZ1300
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Scotch, question about your floats??? 7 years 11 months ago #12331

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Well I'm just dumbfounded... I started it up today and it ran like a watch. Balanced the carbs again, let it run for 20 min or so, pulled a few plugs and they were golden brown.

If I did this before there would be soot on the plugs. I made no mixture changes, I just put the factory floats in and set the levels.

I find it impossible to think all three floats have a problem, and I am now certain that the float levels were the problem. I will say that I had to bend the tab on the factory floats up quite a bit, so it could be the float valves I have sit lower and perhaps this is the root of my problems.

I will try them again when I have time, and if the problem returns then I will try some factory float valve sets ( I would have to get some) to see if it the Keyster parts that are not playing nice.

This is one of the strangest things I've seen in while.
1981 KZ1300

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds