Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

custom intake with filter 7 years 5 months ago #14858

• 81barnfind
  • Thank you received: 0
I would be HIGHLY interested in a set of plans for that intake modification, including parts list/sources, as I cannot find anywhere the rubbers that go between the carbs and air box.

A beautiful job!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

custom intake with filter 7 years 5 months ago #14859

• 81barnfind
Very nice work! As I have given up trying to find the intake rubbers that go from the carbs to the air box, I would be HIGHLY interested in a plan and parts list/sources, for $$

custom intake with filter 7 years 5 months ago #14865

• scotch
  • scotch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Appreciate the interest and the comments ! There are no plans or diagrams on paper for the intake. I had been bouncing the idea around in my head for many years and simply started fabricating the molds once I had the plans more or less finalized in my "mind :woohoo: ?". I started by creating some foam plugs (for the molds) which when fit together within the frame indicated where some subtle adjustments were required to give me the clearances required. This was a very laborious and challenging project but the satisfaction came from the finished intake being exactly as I had envisioned as far as aesthetics was concerned. Some concerns regarding it's performance were quickly dismissed once road tested.

Having said all this and letting it be known I am not a fiberglass expert I can say that the Intake project taxed my skills and patience to the limit. The "manifold" fits to the carb-intakes with no rubber. I created the molds to allow approx. 1/64" clearance around the carb-necks. I applied a "Parting-Wax" to the carb-necks, applied a bead of silicon to the contact area of the manifold and installed the manifold and let the silicon cure. Removed the manifild the next day a trimmed any excess silicon. The S/S clamps create enough "crush" for a proper seal.

In contrast, the "Cleaning Tool" was blue-printed from a prototype to ensure critical dimensional tolerances. Similarly a 3D diagram for a remote spin-on oil-filter adapter/oil cooler has been blueprinted and is currently being prototyped. Machining of parts of this nature takes on a different requirement for creating them which differs immensely from the method used to create the intake. With some projects such as the intake, I started with virtually nothing and kptp adding material until the vision is finished. With machined parts - I start with a "blank" piece of material and keep removing material until the design is complete.

I know - it's all confusing to me too ! That's how my mind works.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.

custom intake with filter 7 years 5 months ago #14870

• 81barnfind
Thanks! If you ever choose to draw plans up, etc, I would be highly interested.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds