• Page:

TOPIC:

carbs 8 years 3 months ago #10756

• Ager
  • Ager's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi i have been very busy riding my Z1 but just decided to get back to my Z13 after spending plenty of money on the thing as i am busy it was not running right so i stripped the carbs and the floats were like" stepping stones" i have sorted this and fluid levelled them the bike runs great now but i put B6ES plugs in it as it quite smoky after a full rebuild a year ago time to take the head off and take a look as the guy who built the engine was also supposed to set the carbs up so who knows what in there . Been pretty pissed with it due the fact you pay your money and expect results just been keeping the bores lubed etc for a year now i am pretty motivated to get her finished watch this space (ignition ) (carb) and (brake ) upgrades on the way

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

carbs 8 years 3 months ago #10764

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
Good luck with your project look forward to hearing and seeing all about the upgrades in future posts.

carbs 8 years 3 months ago #10770

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I know that feeling when you pay good money and get a crappy job. If you're capable of doing it yourself then the first thing that comes to mind is "I'll do it myself and get it right" So you want to tear it all apart and "find the problem" I would like to stop you right there and consider doing some checks before tearing it all apart.

A leakdown test will eliminate a bunch of questions. If it's smoky, you're likely burning oil since you post that after setting the floats, it's running great. Black smoke could be a very over rich carb setting but if it's running good then I highly doubt it's fuel. So black smoke in this case is probably oil burning. A leakdown test will tell you if you have a piston ring sealing problem or not. If the rings are passing, you know how far to tear it apart. If they're not leaking, then you know you only have to pull the head and do the valve seals.

One of the biggest mistakes "engine builders" make is honing cylinders with 3 stone hones or the ball type hone to resurface the bores for new rings. These types of hones will not true the bores and make them perfectly round. It's almost impossible to break in a new set of rings if the bore are not true and the rings are perfectly round. It's worth every penny to take the cylinder block to a engine machine shop and have them run a precision hone through the bores to make them round again. Obviously, piston to bore clearance must be adhered to.

The other thing that may have happened here is if it was a rebuild with a new set of rings, the rings may not have seated yet. There are a number of different thoughts on how to break in a set of rings after a rebuild and a Google search on this topic will be enlightening to say the least.

And the best part, if the rings haven't seated yet, you don't need to tear the whole thing apart, just run up the engine properly to seat the rings.

carbs 8 years 3 months ago #10772

• Ager
  • Ager's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Would love to do all the work myself but i have my own business to run we build Bars and Restaurants etc which is fast track work and with all the best intentions i get bogged down at work and some projects tend to take far longer than they should so at times i have put my trust in others . No more if it goes anywhere it will go to Graeme Crosby(ex suzuki US rider ) who built me my Z1 engine which is awesome and 130 BHP at the back wheel at 1015 cc and a great ride he has experience with the Z13 as he had a dealership after his racing days . It is just pity i did not find him 5 years ago as the guy who built my motor took 3.5 years to do so again i was"very busy' and allowed that to happen i will try the leak down test will i need a compression tester i have a friend who will loan me one i will google the process cheers

i

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds