Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Exhaust pops on deceleration 8 years 4 months ago #10342

• chrisleo
  • chrisleo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

Had to strip down my carbs on my A5, wasn't running right. Cleaned out, set float levels which were all out, re-fitted and balanced. Also adjusted air screws with color tune, near perfect idle, awesome low end pull with no hesitation, overall runs beautifully. Only I noticed slight exhaust pops on deceleration! Not that bad but since I've almost perfected it, wondered what this could be. I started out with 3,1/2 turns out and had to adjust very little for a perfect blue flame. Any thoughts?
I'm running a stock exhaust and air filters, only the 2 mufflers seem to have been replaced at some stage, i.e. Slightly shorter than the originals.

Thanks, Chris
Z1300 A-5 - 1984
Z1300 A-1 - 1979
GL1100 - 1982
VMAX 1200 - 2002
Honda CBX1000 1981

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by chrisleo.

Exhaust pops on deceleration 8 years 4 months ago #10344

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Chris,
To some extent I consider some popping on decel as normal. However, an exhaust leak it will sometimes let oxygen rich air into the system and cause the symptom you're describing. Fresh air entering into the open end of very short pipes can cause the same popping, although I doubt that your shorter mufflers are the cause.
Check the pipe connections at the head and also look for leaks at the head pipe to the muffler connection.
Good Luck
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S
The following user(s) said Thank You: chrisleo

Last edit: by KZQ.

Exhaust pops on deceleration 8 years 4 months ago #10346

• McZed
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
My 1979 kz1300 likes to pop and bang out of the exhaust, especially if I am going down a steep hill. If yours is otherwise running well, I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, it gives pedestrians something to look at. :blush:
Z1300 UK

Exhaust pops on deceleration 8 years 4 months ago #10356

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Have you looked at the section in the KZ1300 manual which explains the function of the "Coasting Enricher System" - it might be worth checking that system in case it is the source of your problem.
Good luck!

Exhaust pops on deceleration 8 years 4 months ago #10373

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

biltonjim wrote: Have you looked at the section in the KZ1300 manual which explains the function of the "Coasting Enricher System" - it might be worth checking that system in case it is the source of your problem.
Good luck!

Jim's right here. The Coaster Enrichening Valve is the culprit. When you pull off the triangular side cover piece on each of the carbs underneath will be a diaphragm, a spring and a brass plunger. The brass plunger likes to stick in the aluminum bore due to moisture and dissimilar metals. Galvanic corrosion. Clean the brass piece up and ensure it freely rotates in the bore of the carb and then put it all back together. I really like "Autosol" metal polish for cleaning up all the brass parts. Works a treat !!

Exhaust pops on deceleration 8 years 4 months ago #10377

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
I'll also agree with the culprit likely being the Enrichment Valve. I have seen these so gummed-up, the small brass "plunger(s)" wouldn't move. It's one of the easier things to check for this issue although the carbs will have to be separated to remove and clean them. Also check the tiny metered vacuum port that operates this valve. One per carb, per enrichment valve and is the larger port on the "engine-side" of the throttle-plate. Compressed air should clear it. Easy to check with a bright/small flashlight shining into the bore. This metered vacuum-port is very small but whether you can see light through it, will indicate if it's blocked or not. Check the plunger diaphragms for cracks or holes. DON'T touch the set-screw in the cover plate! As KB suggested, polishing the plunger with "Autosol" is a good way to shine it. A "Q"-tip and some lacquer thinner will clean the plunger-bore.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds