• Page:

TOPIC:

Carb/inj alignment tool? 8 years 4 months ago #10073

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Anybody have one of the Kawasaki carb or injector throttle body alignment tools (Kawasaki part no. 57001-1036)? It seems like such a simple job to just set the carbs/injectors into the rubber couplings to let them align themselves for a better air seal, but then it would be almost impossible to tighten up their mounting screws to hold that alignment. Also, they may not set perfectly in one plane, which would be critical for good throttle shaft alignment. So, I can sure see the need for that alignment tool. But, it seems a lot of guys are dismantling/reassembling the whole carb system on their bikes all the time without the benefit of that tool. How are you guys doing that? I do read where some have had leakage problems and this is probably due to slight misalignment in the rubber connectors.

If anybody does have one of those tools I would sure like to get my hands on it to duplicate for anybody who would make good use of it. I have precision machining capabilities and would be willing to make up a few sets at cost for materials and shipping. My local dealer suggested trying a larger Kwak shop because they would be most likely to carry one from years past and will most likely never see a use for it again.

My dealer was amazed at the condition of my '84, and he had not ever even seen a Voyager, let alone work on one. He said he has never had any of the special tools to work on them. Never had a call for them.

Scotch, how do you align the carbs when you reassemble the whole stack? Right now I have an old set of undisturbed throttle bodies that I leave alone just for setting the alignment of the rubber connectors. I need the alignment tool to be able to set the bodies once disassembled from their mounting rails.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by trikebldr.

Carb/inj alignment tool? 8 years 4 months ago #10074

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Trikebldr- Could you not just measure your "unmolested" throttle bodies and just fab up your tool based on that measurement?

Carb/inj alignment tool? 8 years 4 months ago #10077

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Damned if I wasn't going to address this subject several days ago and just got lazy. Don't believe I've ever seen the question here, so figured no one cares!

I've had so many carbs-sets (including my own) on and off and do not consider the "tool" necessary. This is regarding the separating of the carbs from the alignment bar. Replace the Philips head screws on the carb. alignment bar (angle) with socket-head. Leave them and the intake clamps loose until the carbs are mounted AND the air-box inlet is installed. When satisfied, tighten the intake clamps. Then tighten the mounting screws on the alignment bar with the Allen key sized for the new socket heads. Trying to do this with "Philips-Head" is just a PITA and I don't believe you can get them as tight. Always works for me.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy, trikebldr

Carb/inj alignment tool? 8 years 4 months ago #10082

• trikebldr
  • trikebldr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
We sure do think alike, Scotch! That's exactly what I was thinking except I haven't tried it yet and didn't know if I was missing something that would block my progress. Thanks for confirming.

Carb/inj alignment tool? 8 years 4 months ago #10083

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
I made this jig using a template taken from the head inlet manifold.

To help with setting up the float levels. Unfortunately the RAM mount I used isn't' quite man enough for the job
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Carb/inj alignment tool? 8 years 4 months ago #10088

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
Nice idea with the Plexi?/Acryilic? mounting plate.

If I may suggest: With perhaps a hole-saw, port the plate to match each bore. This will allow access to, and a clear view, into the bores. With both ends of the carbs accessible, flushing would be quite easy. It would mean a different arrangement for mounting-hardware which would likely negate the use of your mounting adapter. Good idea with that mount but understand it's limitations due to the weight of the carbs.

To hijack the idea for those who don't have or can't easily access the acrylic and certainly not as neat: A piece of plywood with the 3 oval shapes (1 for each carb-neck) would also suffice. This idea however would require some form of holding hardware to be installed between the carbs so the access to the bores could be retained. PLYWOOD because a piece of "grained" wood could conceivably "split" when your out for that other case of beer, potentially leaving the carbs on the shop floor!

Ideas like these are excellent and it's always interesting to see how they are modified and refined to further their convenience.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds