Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

FUEL INJECTION ON A 1979 KZ1300 8 years 5 months ago #10064

• wess.vic
  • wess.vic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I wanted to put a 84 voyager DFI and injectors on my first run 79 kz1300. I'm sure I could figure out the wiring but i was curoius if they has been tried before and if there is another way of fuel injecting a 79 kz1300. Please leave some comments and thoughts on the subject it would be appreciated. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FUEL INJECTION ON A 1979 KZ1300 8 years 5 months ago #10065

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
I have been toying with this but as yet nothing practical. The BMW K series throttle bodies lend themselves well to the job (K100 K75 and K1100) can all be made into a brace of 6 quite easily. Then of course the electronics is this www.diyautotune.com/catalog/microsquirt-...26b1d9a5c672b65b0329 a very much advanced system that can be played with and relatively inexpensive.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

FUEL INJECTION ON A 1979 KZ1300 8 years 5 months ago #10066

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
There's no denying that a really good fuel injection system will out trump a carbureted system but what's involved in a "really good system". The Kawasaki Zn1300 system maps out the fuel pulses based on manifold pressure, throttle position and ambient air temp. This is somewhat primitive. A "really good system" would have a mass air flow sensor engine temp, ambient air temp and what I consider the most critical part an, exhaust o2 sensor. The feedback from the o2 sensor is the after the fact monitor which feeds back to the computer how everything's working out and based on what the o2 says, the computer will adjust the fuel map to meet programmed parameters.

I've considered the BMW throttle body option and strangely enough the DIY computer and possibly welding in sockets to install 14 lb. injectors near the inlet valves but this undertaking is not for the faint of heart. I've chosen to go in a slightly different route and stick with the carbs for now and add a o2 monitoring system onto the exhaust system which will continuously monitor the exhaust and display the results on a gauge which will be mounted up near the instrument cluster. In effect, I'll be able to see how well the jetting is set up under all conditions and be able to determine the best all round setup for the main jets and the main jet needles. So in effect, I'll be the "computer" which determines whether the carb system is running rich or lean then I'll be manually adjusting the carbs to get the optimum fuel mixture under most running conditions. The o2 monitor cost me around $250.00 Canadian which is more than likely 1/4 of what it would cost for a fuel injection system that would out perform a well set up carb system and it will give me continuous feedback on how well things are running.

Here's a pic of the o2 gauge for those interested.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Kawboy.

FUEL INJECTION ON A 1979 KZ1300 8 years 5 months ago #10067

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
I remember David Ewing (who used to run KZ1300.com) embarked on the task of converting a KZ1300 A3 using ZN1300 injection parts, and indeed he offered kits for a while to enable owners to do the job themselves. I think the process was documented on the CDs that David used to provide to members. Bill might know of this. I also remember David was looking into incorporating the Megasquirt system.
Personally, I love carburettors, they are such a source of fascination to me!
Good luck.

FUEL INJECTION ON A 1979 KZ1300 8 years 5 months ago #10079

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Thanks for the laugh. "Fascinating" That is the nicest thing I have ever heard anyone say about these carbs!
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

FUEL INJECTION ON A 1979 KZ1300 8 years 5 months ago #10086

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
Well, I wasn't meaning 1300 carbs in particular, as I have not yet started work on mine and have no previous experience of them. I mean carbs in general. I used to work at an agricultural engineers shop, and spent countless hours on chain saw repairs - Tillotson or Walbro carbs were the more common makes. They really could be time consuming to fix. Mind you, small two-strokes are often exasperating!

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds