Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Vacuum Pistons in Carbie 8 years 5 months ago #10044

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
Hello, Having trouble with vacuum pistons on one carbie sticking and was wondering if the guru's could shed any light on why this might be happening. The carbies have been thoroughly cleaned just the other week and I have them off the bike and all that I can tell is it might be the jet needles are off centre.

Should have stated this before, they are getting stuck on the way down while carbies are off the bike, so I am assuming they will be doing the same while on the bike?!
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Yaegunp. Reason: more info

Vacuum Pistons in Carbie 8 years 5 months ago #10045

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
The only time I ever had mine stick was when there was a build up of varnish in the bores. First time it led me a merry chase as it could hardly be seen and I had to hold the carbs up to the light so it was shing off the bores and I could pick it up. It wasnt easy to clean off but my wife the eversmart industrial chemist came up with a mixture of ethanol and some other solvent she used in the lab. All was good. Now with the carb cleaner in a pressure pack spray its easy. Give it a squirt and let it sit then do it again and wipe the crud off.
I know you said you had cleaned them but I thought that as well. The carbies were the only real bugbear I had in the 36 years I have owned it. I was always fiddling with them.
I have always said that there should have been a very light spring in there and that relying on gravity was asking a bit much.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yaegunp

Vacuum Pistons in Carbie 8 years 5 months ago #10052

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
The slides are precision-ground to fit their bores. A high tolerance fit for the sake of this discussion. It is not unusual to see very fine vertical scratching on the slides due to years of operation. I consider this in itself to be of no concern provided the scratches have no raised edges. Deep marks indicate that dirty air has made it into the carbs caused by a dirty or damaged air-filter or serious leaks in the air-box/air-filter system. I've rebuilt carbs that from the outside would turn your stomach but generally speaking the slides have not reflected the over-all deteriorated condition. In fact, the two worst looking sets of carbs had slides that were no worse for the beating and all slides had freedom of movement.
Varnish as pointed out is the biggest culprit for causing the slides to not move smoothly. My approach has always been to wipe the slides and bores with a soft clean rag and lacquer-thinner and have found that to be all that was required. I would not under any circumstances do anything more aggressive unless there was some physical damage such as very bad deep-scratching. If the slides are sticking as a result of foreign material damage then a very cautious approach has be considered.
I don't concern myself with keeping the slides mated to their bores. Experience has indicated that any slide will (should) fit any bore. The reason for registering a slide to a bore (keeping the slide and bore oriented as a pair) would be if that slide is hanging up. The reason must be first determined and if it's due to abrasion then that slide and bore should be dealt with as a single unit/issue. Attempting to exchange and swap a sticking slide from bore to bore could conceivably do further damage to the slide AND the re-assigned bore. The slides should be tested individually, without being in the diaphragm hanger and with the needle assembly removed.
The slides have an anodized finish which will show some signs of normal wear indicated by shiny areas. IF you must address some marks discretion has to be used. Do not use a polishing wheel as it will remove material very quickly. As pretty as the slides would look, polishing to a bright finish will diminish the fit quality and that will have an adverse affect on engine operation. Some quality "FINE' polishing compound on a piece of soft cloth (Tee-shirt material) wrapped once around a "Popsicle stick" should burnish the scratch edges. A little at a time, test for fit and freedom regularly. Address only the area of concern. If the bore is of concern then a similar treatment using your finger in place of the Popsicle stick will have to suffice. NO - Do NOT use a brake-cylinder hone ! ...........because I know someone will ask ! The idea is clean-up an area of concern - not re-tool the part(s).
It is common for the needle to not align perfectly with the high-speed jet when installing the slide/needle assembly in the carb-body. If the needles are looked at with a jeweler-loupe areas of contact with the high-speed jet can usually be seen where the needle sits "at idle". NOTE; If the needle(s) show wear/deformation as a result then the needle(s) should be replaced. This contact should not impede slide movement. If it does then the needle is installed/retained in the slide, incorrectly. I have seen many carbs with tiny marks all around the high-speed needle. This is from a lack of care in aligning the needle into the jet correctly during assembly. The marks are not of concern as much as any damage to the point of the needle would be.
DO NOT oil the slides ! They are meant to operate "dry". Don't try adding "a spring" to the top of the diaphragm. You are not smarter then a Mikuni engineer!
Hope this helps !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.

Vacuum Pistons in Carbie 8 years 5 months ago #10054

• aus_z1300
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 21
I noticed when doing mine the alignment of the diaphram played a role in the slide operation if it was pulling too much either way they would twist and stick.

Vacuum Pistons in Carbie 8 years 5 months ago #10055

• Torque59
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS
  • Thank you received: 13
I also had a problem with my slides sticking.
It turned out to be that I had not put the slides in the holders correctly , which was offsetting there position in relation to the bore.
Just a thought.
Restored an 1976 Suzuki GT550B
Restored an 1982 Kawasaki Z1300 A4.
Also rides a 2014 Triumph Rocket Roadster, 2300cc of pure fun.

POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS

Vacuum Pistons in Carbie 8 years 5 months ago #10056

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32
Thank you for your help and suggestions everyone. I believe I now have that problem sorted. I also rechecked the float levels and they are all at 7mm, no adjustment was required. I am able to get the bike going with full choke and it will idle, however very roughly I may say. It backfires through the exhaust and in the carbie/ air filter?? I have not synchronized the carbies yet as I don't have the gear. I did order some connections to screw into the vacuum holes for the basis of a manometer but the wrong ones were sent, are they 6mm threads??

Now for the dumb questions.... How can I tell if it's firing on all cylinders? Also, would synchronization be the solution to the problem I am having?

Cheers

UPDATE
Just put the bike under load in the back yard. Ohh dear! Coughed and spluttered and died in the arse. Hardly any power at all was available to drive it 25ft into the garage. So I am wondering what have I screwed up. I put new ignition coils, spark plug leads and spark plugs on the bike recently. Did I stuff something up when connecting the HT leads to the ignition coils??
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Last edit: by Yaegunp. Reason: Update
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds