Running rich 8 years 6 months ago #9126

• Torque59
  • Torque59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS
  • Thank you received: 13
Hello again.
As you will have previously seen I have not long got my girl back on the road. This hasn't been without its problems.
Now that I have put a couple of hundred km on her I am finding that she is still running a little rich. When I pull the plugs they are still a bit black and sooty.
When on the road she runs perfectly, pulls strongly and cleanly, no misses or hesitations.
I am running a predator 6 into 1 and have reduced my main jets to #100. Float levels are spot on as per the manual.

Idle jets are turned out 4 - 5 turns, and she is idling smoothly.

Two things I have noticed is that when cold needs very little choke and when I close the throttle revs seem to hang for a little bit.

Do you think I should try dropping the needles down a notch or two or try a smaller main.

Thoughts please.
Restored an 1976 Suzuki GT550B
Restored an 1982 Kawasaki Z1300 A4.
Also rides a 2014 Triumph Rocket Roadster, 2300cc of pure fun.

POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Running rich 8 years 6 months ago #9127

• aus_z1300
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 21
I am sure there has been a thread or two on tuning the carbs somewhere on the forum try searching colourtune I do recall it was discussed for adjusting the idle mixture.

Running rich 8 years 6 months ago #9128

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Colortune is definitely the way to go. but in lieu of that, I've always gone with lean best idle. Your carbs are already running rich so you could just warm up the bike to operating temp. and then while running start turning in the idle air bleed screws until the rpms start to drop. At that point your at lean best idle. Typically, 3 to 3-1/2 turns out is where you should end up.

I suspect that your floats are set a little high which would also affect the mixture on all of the circuits. Check your float setting before you do anything. These motors want to run with the stock jets even with the header pipes on them, so I wouldn't be going any lower on the main jets. Needle position should be in the center slot.

Running rich 8 years 6 months ago #9129

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Torque,
I'm running a DG pipe with 96 mains and a stock air box. I was having trouble getting past a flat spot just off of idle. I ended up with the idle screws at the same four to five turns you have settled upon which gave me a smooth idle and got rid of the flat spot. Unfortunately, the bike was surging badly at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. The bikes manners evened out when I dropped the needles to the sixth notch (raised the needles) and set the idle jets at 3 1/2 turns. Next time I pull the carbs, I'm going to up the mains to 100s and clip the needles in the third notch.
I'm thinking that dropping your needles is the way to go. The lack of a need for a choke is probably a result of your overly generous idle jet setting. I'm sure you know that the hanging throttle needs to be checked by spraying something like WD40 onto the carb holders. With that, a change in idle indicates an intake leak.
Good luck
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Last edit: by KZQ.

Running rich 8 years 6 months ago #9133

• Torque59
  • Torque59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS
  • Thank you received: 13
Thanks Bill,

Initially I will take on board what Kawboy has said and will lean the idle out as much as possible and see what kind of a difference that makes. If nothing noticable happens then I am going to pull the carbs off again, I am getting pretty good and getting them off and on now.

If Inhave no success with going down the idle route I think I will try dropping the needle down 1 notch as everthing else is good ie idles smoothly, pulls well, no flat spots, and see what happens from there.
The worst that will happen is that I will have to take them off again and re-adjust, not like I haven't been there done that before ha ha ha

Thanks again to all for your input, itnis appreciated.

Cheers
Restored an 1976 Suzuki GT550B
Restored an 1982 Kawasaki Z1300 A4.
Also rides a 2014 Triumph Rocket Roadster, 2300cc of pure fun.

POTEST ALITER SUBVENIRI NON POTEST PRO CUBICUS

Running rich 8 years 6 months ago #9140

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Hi mate, are you running higher octane fuel, say a 95, did wonders for my old girl
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds