Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Alternative carbs 8 years 8 months ago #8615

• Vulture1300
  • Vulture1300's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi. So that's a no brainier then,I'll have to persevere with the original carbs,
Cheers. Marh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Alternative carbs 8 years 8 months ago #8622

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
When I discovered my stock floats weren't floating and that none were available I had three choices; 1 - Sell the otherwise clean bike for parts (unthinkable) 2 - Adapt another carb(s) unimaginable or, 3 - make new floats.

The designing and creating three new floats was daunting but no where near the planning, designing and work required to adapt another carb/manifold. In researching the "adaptive" approach I came to the realistic conclusion that I was not capable of such a task. Far too many variables without the required expertise to match flows, volumes and curves necessary for a satisfactory result. Swapping out a Carter for a Holley is one thing. Having to "guess" with a KZ1300 was beyond my scope and patience.

I've rebuilt enough 1300 carbs to realize that no matter how bad they look inside and out or how poorly they perform - they are salvageable. Unless these carbs have been completely "F'd" over by a troll with a hammer, they can be made to run properly. The challenges here are minor (IMHO) compared to spending a small fortune on "something else", trying to adapt and then trying to set-up the virtually unknown values. Only those with easy access to a full compliment of technical equipment and expertise can take on this challenge and so few have been successful that the possibility of the average mechanic being successful is nil ! Simply "copying" someone else's idea is bordering on foolish because there are far too many variables.

I will rebuild a stock set any day of the week and that's knowing I may have to pull them apart after the fact, once, maybe twice, to get it right!

If you haven't the patience and understanding for the stock carbs there is no possible way you will simply bolt on a "Webber" and be off to the races !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: nortryder

Last edit: by scotch.

Alternative carbs 8 years 8 months ago #8624

• Tyler
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46
I agree with Scotch, the factory carbs are very good at what they do. I was a bit nervous about working on them myself when I bought my project bike. They are a one of a kind design only used on the 13's. I found them to be pretty simple to work on and I grew to like the design, in fact I wish that Kawasaki has put a pair of them on thier 4 cylinder bikes instaed of four separate carbs... Kawasaki built the 1300 to show off, the engine, intake, and exhaust were very well designed, and the engine was tuned to produce a very wide power band, not something that is easy to do, or to reproduce with aftermarket parts...

The factory manual is invaluable, as is Scotch's rebuild thread on this forum. Maintenece is easy compared to the work to replace them.
1981 KZ1300

Alternative carbs 8 years 8 months ago #8662

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
All very good advice!

I remember when we had someone selling intake manifolds that were 6 into 1 for the single large automobile type carb conversion. The Weber type is another more current option.

I agree that rebuilding the original equipment will be the best and easiest route you can take.

Alternative carbs 8 years 6 months ago #9697

• 2blood
  • Thank you received: 0
Turbo,s are very smooth

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds