TOPIC:

Sticky vacuum slides. 10 years 4 months ago #526

• KZQ
  • KZQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
During several of my past carb disassembly/reassembly spasms I'd been struggling with one carb for which the slides did not seen to move freely. If I put one of the pair in at a time everything was fine when I moved the diaphragm and the slide holder to a different carb, those slides moved freely. I must have taken that carb apart fifteen times. Finally, I found that it was the nylon post that's held into the slide with a circlip. One of mine was apparently curved or bent somehow. When the two slides were assembled to the slide holder and diaphragm the center to center distance was affected by the bent nylon post and the whole assembly got just ever so slightly bound up. I've several sets of backup carbs so I had plenty of posts to choose from.

Just a heads up if your slides won't slide by gravity alone.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sticky vacuum slides. 10 years 4 months ago #559

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
This brings up a thought I had when I was working on my slides last. Has anyone ever experimented with adding a light-duty slide return spring to prevent the slides from binding up when opened? Springs like that seem common on other models but don't exist on this one. I'm all for it if it helps improve versatility :).

Sticky vacuum slides. 10 years 2 months ago #1308

• ventura
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey guys, just found this site, love the 1300s.

I was working on a carb slide/spring modification last year as I couldn't quite get my jetting spot on. I thought the slides might be hanging up a bit, maybe a small spring would help with response. Never did complete the project, might have to try again now that I'll be running pods with my DG 6 into 1.
82 KZ1300
06 CBR1000RR
89, 83 RZ350
88 CBR1000F Hurricane
72 Yam AS3, 82 CT110

Sticky vacuum slides. 10 years 2 months ago #1309

• KZQ
  • KZQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Jay,

Welcome to KZ1300.COM!

I'm not sure if my problem was caused by a bent post or if I did not have the circlip fully seated.
Good luck sorting out your issue.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Sticky vacuum slides. 10 years 2 months ago #1310

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Adding a spring to prevent the slide from hanging up seems a simple thing to do. The only problem I imagine that mod will cause will be the additional weight and resistance that it adds to the slides. I think that it would make the slides harder for the motor to open via vacuum and cause a sluggish response whilst opening the throttle. This could be exacerbated by the fact that you're probably doing this mod with slides that are already sticking and getting hung up.

Moving beyond that issue, if they can raise themselves freely for the most part I think there's a way to resolve the issue with opening them.

I imagine (in theory) you can counteract the additional resistance the spring adds by weighing exactly how much weight (in both weight and spring rebound resistance) and remove that exact amount of weight from the slide assembly by removing material. Might be able to do this by taking metal from places that are non-essential to the operation of the slide assembly (like the inside of the pistons for example).

I'm thinking that this alone will make the slide lighter in weight so it opens at the same resistance and speed as before, but the throttle response with closing the slide will be much quicker with the spring behind it.

Anyone else care to weigh in on this? I'm kind of winging it here but have put some thought into it before :).

Sticky vacuum slides. 10 years 2 months ago #1312

• ventura
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks KZQ, good to be here.

Hey Mikez,

I know that the slides move freely when the carbs are out on the bench, but like you say it's interesting they didn't come with closing springs from factory like the majority of other CV carbs out there.

If I remember right, the Dynojet jet kit I installed years ago came with weights (just thick washers really) to install on top of the diaphragms. Pulling these out when putting springs in may be an option. Certainly there will be some playing around here, especially for me as I'm going to try and jet for pods this year :pinch:
82 KZ1300
06 CBR1000RR
89, 83 RZ350
88 CBR1000F Hurricane
72 Yam AS3, 82 CT110

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds