Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

K&N air filter fitment issue 9 years 2 weeks ago #6684

• lucasind
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

K&N air filter fitment issue 9 years 2 weeks ago #6691

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
I have heard the US military stopped using K&N filters as they were getting excessive wear because they didn't filter as well as they were led to believe.
Paper filters can be cleaned. I have been alternating four filters, 2 were new and 2 used when I started, on my BMW K75 and K1100 for 8 years now and they still do the job very well and cleaning costs $14 for two and new they are over $50 so it's economical. At a rough estimate they get washed about once in 12 months as I change them every 6 months.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

K&N air filter fitment issue 9 years 2 weeks ago #6718

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

lucasind wrote: blog.perrinperformance.com/foam-filter-q...y-they-are-the-best/

Did you buy a Perrin filter for the bike? Who supplies this? I went to the website but can't seem to find the products. ?? :S

K&N air filter fitment issue 9 years 2 weeks ago #6740

• hitchz1300
  • Thank you received: 0
I have had the same problem, too wide to fit in the hole.
Contacted K&N and got a luke warm response from them. It sounded like they would only do something about it if the filter came directly from them, not a 2nd supplier.
I ended up grinding away the extra edging around the sides of the filter and it fits nice now, albeit a bit mashed. Its filtering effectiveness isn't affected which in the long run is the main point!

Hope K&N sort their sh*t out soon!

Cheers
Gareth B)
81 Kawaka KZ1300A3
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT550L
07 Suz GSX1400

K&N air filter fitment issue 9 years 2 weeks ago #6744

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38

RickG wrote: I have heard the US military stopped using K&N filters as they were getting excessive wear because they didn't filter as well as they were led to believe.

Some people misuse K&N's. They are not intended to be washed for a looooong time! Just routine applications of oil. The more silt they accumulate the better they filter, so if those young privates are cleaning everything that they get their hands one, NO WONDER they don't work well. I had a single K&N in my dune buggy for over ten years with simple twice-yearly oilings. Before I oiled it I would tap it lightly against the bench to knock off the bigger chunks. I also use a pair of pantyhose over the mouth of the snorkel into the filter can to keep bugs and big chunks out of the can. Not practical on the KZ's though! If you were careful you could wrap the whole filter with some pantyhose before slipping it into the box. It lets the finer silt through to help the filter do it's job, but stops the bigger sand.

Last edit: by trikebldr.

K&N air filter fitment issue 9 years 2 weeks ago #6748

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
For those of you that have been following this thread, know this, when I decide to deal with something because it's not right, I'm like a Pitbull on the end of a Porterhouse steak and you're not going to get away with it.

I've now contacted Mr. Kevin Floody at K&N filters and REMINDED him that there are a number of members on this website who have raised the fitment problem to him individually over the last year and that they've been patiently waiting for replacements for their faulty filters. Giovany Haros Millan is the other contact at K&N Filters who's my initial contact. Today I asked Giovany for an update to the problem and no response. Possibly out of the office. (or that's his story and he's sticking to it)

There will be a resolution or somebody's going to recite three Hail Marys :evil:

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds