Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kawboy's restoration/conversion of a 1980 KZ13 8 years 2 weeks ago #11812

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Just thinking how much easier it would be if they had used bolt on sprockets and conventional chain instead of the Morse HiVo
I have only just finished advancing the inlet cam on my K1100 BMW and it is amazing how much more low end torque it has and along with a 4° advance of timing I can let the clutch out at idle and it just drives away where before it just stalled.
I am not sure what Kawasaki did but Honda and BMW both made different cams for the US version of many of their bikes to retard the inlet opening time so as to cut down on the nitrogen oxides from high temp combustion.
It is strange that even though I have owned my Z13 since new I don't really know that much about them as I never had to do any internal work and spent much of the first 10 years working for Honda Australia
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kawboy's restoration/conversion of a 1980 KZ13 8 years 5 days ago #11989

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Just an update on the search for the primary secondary chains. I've had conversations with Borg Warner Morse Tec, Cross Morse in the UK Regal chain in the United States, Kingomatic who supply the automotive world in Canada, and Ramsey chain in the U.S. Ramsey is the only ones who are willing to look into making the chains. They will only help out if I send them my chains and they have their engineers go over the chains and ensure the profile of the chain they manufacture matches the profile of the original factory chain. It seems that over the years inverted toothed chains have had advancements in the profile of the teeth of the gears and the teeth of the chain to minimize noise and give better longevity.

I didn't want to tear the engine apart until I had chains to go in, but since there's a possibility of getting the wrong chains or ever worse Chinese chains, I'm going to pull the engine and take the chains out and send them to Ramsey in North Carolina and let them do what they do best. It's encouraging when you find a company who are willing to help but refuse to sell you the wrong item. I told them the Borg Warner Mose Tec series number on the chain is 63-139 and their response is that they still want to measure up the profile of the chain before proceeding forward with a sale. The only cost to me is the shipping of the chains down to them.

I'll let everyone know how this all pans out. I'm actually looking forward to finding a reliable source for the primary and secondary chain. Even Borg Warner tells me they don't make the 63-139 chain any more so I have no idea where all of the new primary chains are coming from and I fear it's China.

Kawboy's restoration/conversion of a 1980 KZ13 8 years 5 days ago #11991

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Seems kinda strange that Borg Warner doesn't at least have the records of that 63-139 chain, like the profiles of the parts. And, if they don't plan to ever make them anymore, why not share those profiles with others who might want to.
An alternative would be to compare the tooth profile on the sprockets to a more modern example to see if a hobb could be made to cut the newer profile on top of the old. Again, a good cam shop could even weld over the old teeth to give material to cut, just like building up the cam lobe profile for regrinding.
Oh, Kawboy, you inspire so much brainstorming and even more possibilities of how to go about doing this.

Kawboy's restoration/conversion of a 1980 KZ13 8 years 5 days ago #11992

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Rather than tear into your engine how about going with a used eBay item for your example?

Kawboy's restoration/conversion of a 1980 KZ13 8 years 5 days ago #11993

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
I had actually considered this. Buy it from Ebay and have it shipped to Ramsey. The only hiccup is that Ramsey issues a "return Authorization number" Now I could do that and have the seller ship with that number. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Kawboy's restoration/conversion of a 1980 KZ13 8 years 5 days ago #11994

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Worn primary chains are why my Z1300 came off the road in 2002 and hasn't been riden since but I have a new set of chains for it now as they came with another A1 I bought and I don't know where the previous owner got them.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds