Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kawboy's restoration/conversion of a 1980 KZ13 6 years 5 months ago #17683

• Neville
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 75
Just for reference, this is our code: software.ricardo.com/products/valdyn/valdyn-valvetrain-design
Not really suitable for personal use. Agree that there are simpler on-line resources which should be adequate. As a minimum, you will need to measure the spring rates of both springs together with the mass of the springs, valve (including collets and retainer), bucket and shim as an input to the cam design software.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kawboy's restoration/conversion of a 1980 KZ13 6 years 5 months ago #17686

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Awesome Neville, thanks !!

Kawboy's restoration/conversion of a 1980 KZ13 6 years 5 months ago #17866

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
I've spent about 50 hours mapping out the stock cams and determining the faults that I could see. I needed to gain .6mm to .7mm in shim allowance to bring my average shim size back to 2.7mm. By removing .027" (or .7mm) from the base circle, I gain back the shim thickness to put me back into a good range. Now I needed to clean up the duration. The stock cams had 180 cam rotation instead of 140 degrees which translates to 360 derees of valve duration instead of 280 degrees of valve duration.
Next, I had an opportunity to look at the effective valve lift at various points in duration and see what I could do to improve the lift at various points of the duration bearing in mind that if I go to agressive, the cam could start slapping the valves open and closed. The flanks of the lobes need to have a radius so as they ramp up the cam follower, they roll into it rather than flatly approach it and ramp up. I also had to keep in mind that I needed to work with the stock cam and not add any material to it and also not grind off a lot of material to affect the hardness of the cam lobes. It took a lot of finiggling to achieve what I believe will be a "better cam". So the chart shows the stock cam, one profile that I worked out and determined that it was slow to get going and then the second profile which maintains or betters to stock valve lifts and cleans up the faulty duration.
The next step will be to transfer this new profile to a master which will mount on the backside of the chuck on the lathe. Stay tuned !!

Attachments:

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Kawboy's restoration/conversion of a 1980 KZ13 6 years 5 months ago #17867

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Great Kawboy! What method did you use at the end to put it together?

Kawboy's restoration/conversion of a 1980 KZ13 6 years 5 months ago #17928

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member

I call this masterpiece "Kitchen Table Engineering" My wife thinks I'm nuts Quote "All that trigonometry gives me a headache !" she said.
I don't have an engineering background although at one point in my previous life, my boss felt that it would be great to have me supervise 10 of his engineers to teach them how their engineering comes to fruition. I have sketch designed tooling for the nuclear power plant and the only way the tooling could be used, was if our engineering department "reverse engineered" the final product and then rubber stamped the drawing.
The picture represents well over 100 hours of drawing, measuring, analyzing, scrapping and redrawing until I finally came up with the final drawing for the camshaft grind. I've managed to increase the acceleration of the opening ramp slightly better than the stock, given more time for the decelleration to allow the camshaft to pass off the valve face to the valve seat, clean up the duration from a very sloppy 340 degrees duration back to 280 degrees duration and increase lift by .028" to .248" I also managed to overcome the issue with the valve seats ground too deep in the head. i should now be able to use 2.70mm- 2.80mm shims
9 drawings with 2 or 3 profiles on each. 5 Excel spreadsheets with comparitive data on each. it's been a crazy journey so far. Now it's time to design the profile grinder for the baby lathe and have at it.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Kawboy's restoration/conversion of a 1980 KZ13 6 years 5 months ago #17930

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
lets see: 100 (+) hours at a modest $95.00 :whistle: per hour = $9500.00 :woohoo: . SO the intake and exhaust cams are worth $4700.00 each!:sick: Now if you sell some......:whistle:
Let me know when they're down to $325.95 per set :evil:
Lots of work on paper !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds