Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kawboy's tease for today 9 years 2 months ago #5918

• Kawboy
  • Kawboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
This site's so quiet I think most of the members are hibernating!!! So that being said, Here's what happens when I take a GPZ 1100 taillight and marry it with the A model tailpiece and then start to get creative with spray foam, balsa wood and epoxy glass. This is by no means anywhere close to the finished look but I thought maybe a little inspiration might be in order.

GPZ and tailpiece mounted in place

Rear view of the light with spray foam applied and carved to shape

Oh here we go, balsa wood to form the wing

Another view of the wing.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kawboy's tease for today 9 years 2 months ago #5919

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Thanks Kawboy,

It's always helpful to see the process so that it's easier to appreciate the finished result. Why don't you post a bit about how the balsa wood actually becomes part of the fiberglass layers?

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Last edit: by KZQ.

Kawboy's tease for today 9 years 2 months ago #5920

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
Sure thing Bill.
What you see in the pic is the first sheet of 3/16" balsa wood. I've been cutting and fitting to the tailpiece then I'll be laminating a second piece of 3/16" balsa to the first with a layer of 6 ounce fiberglass cloth in between using West Systems epoxy. Once that piece is made, I'll mount to the tailpiece and glass in with strips of glass cloth and epoxy. Then I'll have to fair in the joint between the balsa and the tail piece using the epoxy mixed with flox which will turn the epoxy in to something like caulking with you can form and put a nice radius on. I'll take pics as I go along.

Kawboy's tease for today 9 years 2 months ago #5921

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Kewl! Build 'em Kawboy!

Kawboy's tease for today 9 years 2 months ago #5922

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
You're a riot!! I knew you'd appreciate what I'm building. We've got the same heart. Sometimes I think I like the build more than the ride

Kawboy's tease for today 9 years 2 months ago #5923

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38

Kawboy wrote: Sometimes I think I like the build more than the ride

I couldn't have said it better! We ARE mechanical artists, good or bad, and it is our creative release! I really enjoy blending a lot of different disciplines, for example, sports cars, drag cars, roundy-round cars, aircraft, boats, bicycles, wood-working, fiberglassing and metalworking. It's really good to see you adding in some wood and fiberglass! As you ride down the street you will see a lot of heads turn and a lot of guys will ask where you GOT that tail section, not believing that YOU BUILT it! Let 'em "eat cake"! We can make and have things they can't!

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds