• Page:

TOPIC:

driling and tapping hardend steel 9 years 4 months ago #5432

• kennyb
  • kennyb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 8
I want to drill my crank and tap so I can accommodate a M12 bolt to add a voyager 1300 rotor. I ordered the drill bit and tap. So I started to drill and not really making progress at all.This is some hard stuff.What kind of drill bit works on this stuff.I'm a newbie at this stuff and btw this is being done on a spare engine that I plan on rebuilding.I was thinking of purchasing a Voyager 1300 crank in the future,thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

driling and tapping hardend steel 9 years 4 months ago #5434

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
I would suggest you spend the money on a Cobalt drill bit and also get yourself a bottle of lithium based cutting fluid (looks like green paste) The cobalt bit is tougher than hardened steel and the lithium based cutting paste (fluid) is the best I know of for drilling tapping tough material. You'll want to drill at a very low rpm and a lot of pressure otherwise you'll take the temper out of the drill bit and case harden the crankshaft with the heat generated. Try to judge the pressure you're applying by keeping the cutting paste from smoking.
Any other machinists out there care to chime in?

driling and tapping hardend steel 9 years 4 months ago #5435

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Kenny,

Pretty sure that the usual order of processes is to machine a part and then heat treat it. I'm not sure you can do what your want without annealing the part first then machining it and then retempering it. I'm also pretty sure that there's a big risk that the heat treating will allow some internal stresses to be relieved resulting in a crooked part.

Wish I could offer you more.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

driling and tapping hardend steel 9 years 4 months ago #5436

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
KQZ you are correct. Standard process for building a crank would be to machine the part and then heat treat. Rework usually requires normalizing the part, reworking, machining and then heat treating. For a crank the heat treating is accomplished just prior to finish grinding the journals.
Cranks are made of a ductile iron which suggests a soft material. After rough machining they are usually nitriled to case harden the areas of the main and crank journals, then finish ground. Quite often if you carefully cut through the case hardening you can rework the base material which in this case should work.

driling and tapping hardend steel 9 years 4 months ago #5437

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
I am a Fitter by trade and have done a lot of machining work. I would not even think of doing what you want to do unless the crank was in a lathe and I had a tungsten drill bit and even then I would be very doubtful of being able to tap a thread because the centre of the shaft wont be hardened but will be VERY tough steel.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

driling and tapping hardend steel 9 years 4 months ago #5440

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
This topic brings up old memories for me. I spent 30 years working in a nuclear power plant in Pickering Ontario as a machinist fitter and pipefitter welder. Thinking about the cutting fluid we used(the green stuff) I had to rummage through the old brain and came up with the name Anchorlube. checked out on the internet and yes that's what it was. I remember doing a lot of testing on cutting fluids for tapping/cutting threads and the best product we could find without a doubt was this Anchorlube G-771 and in the nuclear industry we played with a lot of unique materials the toughest being Zircoloy and you couldn't touch that stuff with a tool without using this Anchorlube. Thanks guys for making me use the old brain again. I love it!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds