Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Finally Got One! In My Yard! 9 years 11 months ago #3458

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
I FINALLY managed to secure me a KZ1300. It's the right kind, the right COLOR, with nearly every "correct" (for me) part there included in the price.

And what a price it was- $1700, plus shipping.

Which is the downside. It was for sale in Idaho. And I live in Michigan. After a bit of wheeling and dealing (along with some help from a member from another forum I'm on), I officially OWN this puppy, but at the moment it's still sitting in Idaho.

On the plus side, shipping arrangements have been made, and it's scheduled to be picked up tomorrow, to arrive at my place in about 3-4 weeks.

What I know: Owned by a nice 77 year old man since 1990. Second owner. All there, except for a bit of extra wiring to a fairing-mounted starter button (apparently the original grenaded). Radio, CB, Voltmeter. Manual included, along with some spare parts (cables, etc.). Runs, but doesn't want to idle- something about cylinder no. 4. Could just be from sitting with the fluids drained all winter. Used for touring, with 44K miles on the clock.

Plans: Ditch the fairing. Get me some headlight ears and make the front end stock. Get rid of the truck, rack and bags. Hold on to the bags and (maybe) rack for occasional use, sell the rest. Get as close back to stock as possible. Replace the right controls with ones that work, check into that cam chain idler issue. Make sure the seat pan is good, reshape the seat foam to stock, replace with period-correct stock seat cover/strap. Ride like crazy.

Sound good?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Lucien-Harpress.

Finally Got One! ....sorta. 9 years 11 months ago #3460

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
Gee I reckon that is a good buy If I could get one that good for that price in Australia I would be extatic.
Now for the hard part of waiting for it to arrive.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

Finally Got One! ....sorta. 9 years 11 months ago #3462

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Lucien,

That's a clean looking 1300! And it's a KZ to boot! That means it won't be difficult to streamline as you are planning.

Great News!

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Finally Got One! ....sorta. 9 years 11 months ago #3464

• Drewski
  • Thank you received: 0
Man, that sounds like a pretty good deal! :cheer: Well done Sir! B)
Invictus Maneo - "I remain unvanquished"

On the hunt... no kz1300... yet! ;)

"Let the Good Times Roll!" :)

Finally Got One! ....sorta. 9 years 11 months ago #3465

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 224
For that price it is even a consideration to buy it there and have it shipepd to Europe. Here you woulld not get it below EUR 5000.00, for sure.

respect, wish you tons of fun with it

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

Finally Got One! ....sorta. 9 years 11 months ago #3472

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
That looks great! But, won't you think twice about removing all the touring gear? That Craig Vetter fairing etc is the proper kit offered by Kawasaki when they launched the 1300. To my eyes, it looks a mighty handsome machine as it is, and will be even more so when you get it polished up. I do, however, also see the appeal of the naked bike.
Whatever you decide, hope to see and hear of your progress when you get started on the KZ's restoration. Best wishes.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds