Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

dutch z1300 10 years 1 day ago #2717

• bassie20
  • bassie20's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
I'm going to have my first z1300 redgistered, which I bought 2 months ago.
It has not run for a couple of years, but at the moment it fires up in an instant, after I put in new spark plugs..

it picks up from about 1900-2000 rpm, below that it's struggling a little..
It iddles without any problem, but I think it is not running on all six all the time,
pipe 3 en 4 are not getting hot quick, maybe carbs still need cleening, or just wet spark plugs maybe? The guy I got it from said he cleaned the carbs, but he said it might not be 100% yet..

I only rode it for a couple of miles, and in 2 days I will drive it to the registration office.

I'm not planning to take the carbs apart any time soon, because I have another project that I want to finish first.

My question for now is: If I can ride it without any problem, maybe not running on all six, should I worry about it? Or just ride it and see if it gets better, while doing some adjusting and testing?

If it's wet spark plugs, should those cilinders pick up if the engine gets warmed up?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by bassie20.

dutch z1300 10 years 1 day ago #2718

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Hello Bassie:

With such little info to go on it's hard to tell but here is my opinion.

I would not run the bike until all cylinders are firing. Due to fuel washing down the dead cylinder bore. Bad for the bore and piston, and it dilutes your oil with fuel.

If the carbs were just cleaned, try adjusting the mixture screws. Turning them out richens the mixture, turning them in leans the mixture.

Suggest you start around 3 turns out, then determine if those two dead cylinders come to life at idle.

One of the best ways to tell is a spray bottle with water, and apply to the header, while warming up. If they flash around the same time, you headed in the right direction.

Or if you have the proper tools, use an infrared thermometer. Another tool that works well is the Gunson Color Tune. www.gunson.co.uk

Most of us on this site highly recommend the Colortune product.

With the right tools and technique, the biggest bang for the buck may be adjusting your mixture screws with a Carburetor synchronization.

Regards.

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Last edit: by Toddh. Reason: SPELLING

dutch z1300 10 years 1 day ago #2719

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
By the way, nice looking original KZ.

T.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

dutch z1300 10 years 1 day ago #2723

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 221
Hey Bassie,

groetjes to Nederland, nice looking bike (I'd better stay with english rather than write somehting completely stupid in nederlands).

If really tubes 3&4 are not getting hoit this might (might, as I said) be an indicator that one of the spark coils are malfunctioning. Changing the coils if possible will indicate that.

best regards,

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

dutch z1300 10 years 1 day ago #2726

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I know the feeling when not all cylinders are running. Last summer my bike was running on 5. Which was why I've been spending my free time redoing the ignition, carbs, starter etc etc.

I hope when I manage to get another day off of work that pesky cylinder will fire up like it's supposed to :).

dutch z1300 10 years 1 day ago #2727

• bassie20
  • bassie20's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
to big six: dank je wel!

I already ordered the color tune :)

I never synchronized carbs before, but if I'm correct: synchronizing is about setting the 3 valves on the 3 carbs to work together, which affects the full range of the carb, and with the color tune you correct the six different iddle mixtures for each cilinder, which only affects idlle speed?

btw, paint is not original.. unfortunately..

Last edit: by bassie20.
Time to create page: 1.286 seconds