Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Help with K1300 Restoration Please 10 years 4 days ago #2643

• KEL
  • KEL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
OK. I've been lurking here for a while referencing information for the build I have going on at the moment. I'm new to these beasts and am learning as I go along and I am going to be asking a fair few questions of you here at the forum with the hope that you can help me get this over the line.
Initially, I found an old and VERY VERY neglected 79 with very low production number. It looked like this:

I have spent a few weeks now removing bits, painting, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, fixing wiring and other things and finally got to this:

So, today I finally summoned up the courage to whack the battery in and see what happened.
Hooray, I have power to the console, but there is a constant clicking noise coming from the fuel shutoff solenoid mounted to the frame. It appears to be sucking as if I put my finger over one end I can feel it drawing. I don't have my tank fitted and no fuel feeding to the carbs at this stage.
BUT, nothing else......
I tried hitting the starter button but it does nothing. No clicking of the starter solenoid, nothing.
My first question is have I or am I missing something?

Thanks to all in advance!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by KEL.

Help with K1300 Restoration Please 10 years 4 days ago #2644

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Hi,

I think you maybe mistaking the fuel shut off for the starter solenoid,

The fuel shut off is under the carbs at the front of the airbox. The starter solenoid is under the seat at the rear of the battery. The starter solenoid will CLICK if the battery is not supplying enough power to turn the starter motor over. The starter solenoid has 2 thick wires in & out......one in from the battery & the other out to the starter motor. It also has 2 normal wires to it.

If the bike has not been started for a long time, I would definitely strip & clean the caerbs before trying to start, as they will be full of old fuel & dirt, which will be sucked up inside the carbs if you try to start it & will cause endless problems.

Also you need to be sure nothing is stuck or seized inside the engine before starting.

When was the last time it ran ?

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

Help with K1300 Restoration Please 10 years 4 days ago #2647

• KEL
Thanks Pete! Nice and fast!!
Its definitely the Fuel Shutoff I am hearing. Mine is mounted above the carbs.

The starter solenoid isn't clicking at all.
As a bit of background, yes, it has sat for a while.
As soon as I got it I removed the carbs, dropped the bowls, cleaned them (they were clean) then had the whole set of carbs Hydroblasted.
I then removed all the plugs, poured a little oil and WD40 down the bores for a week and have rocked it in gear to make sure it wasn't seized or bound up. It was fine.
Any ideas?

Help with K1300 Restoration Please 10 years 4 days ago #2649

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
KEL,

Ok

I thought we were working with a standard set up bike here, & not one with modified parts.

Get rid of the fuel shut off for the minute & just run a pipe from the tank to the carbs.........you can re-fit the shut off once you are running.
If its clicking it probably has an issue (as most fuel shut off valves do !!).

If the starter solenoid is not clicking & the starter motor does not turn over, then you have a bad connection somewhere or the starter motor needs attention.

Have you tried turning it over with NO plugs in ????

Pete F

Last edit: by strate6.

Help with K1300 Restoration Please 10 years 4 days ago #2650

• KEL
Pete, I didn't know that part was modified. Should I remove it altogether or just the power to it?
Yes, I also rocked it in gear with the plugs out.
Everything moved fine.

Help with K1300 Restoration Please 10 years 4 days ago #2651

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
KEL,

Do you have a FUEL VALVE or a FUEL PUMP fitted (both different things).

A fuel valve is CLOSED with the power off & OPENS with the power ON.......so removing wires will stop the bike from starting.
A FUEL PUMP will begin to pump (CLICK) once fed power until it fills your 3 float bowls. It should then stop clicking.

If I were you I would try to make the first starting process as simple & easy as possible, so would remove the fuel valve/fuel pump & fit a direct pipe (with an inline filter if tank is rusty inside).

Again I am assuming your bike has a standard set-up so you are aware you need the clutch in as you press the starter ???????

If you cannot get the starter motor to turn over you can try JUMP STARTING with jump leads to another 12v battery to increase the power.

Pete F

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds