Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 4 months ago #22485

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Nice acquisition !! That pic down the fuel tank is down right UGLY. So some work there.And after seeing that, I would pull the carb bowls and see whats going on in there as well. Time to do some investigating first I think.

Oil change for sure with a filter and have a good look at the filter for anything unusual.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 4 months ago #22487

• bluefan44
  • bluefan44's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Kawboy

I did check for any soft spots and nothing so much flexed so I'm happy about that for sure. Any tools I should invest in besides JIS screwdriver and Allen wrenches?

Last edit: by bluefan44.

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 4 months ago #22489

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

bluefan44 wrote: Kawboy

I did check for any soft spots and nothing so much flexed so I'm happy about that for sure. Any tools I should invest in besides JIS screwdriver and Allen wrenches?

I'm impressed. "Somebody's " been reading and paying attention. JIS screwdrivers for sure. And at some point you'll likely want to get a set of calibrated vacuum gauges for checking the carb balance. A 3 gauge set will do fine.
I'm also a fan of the manual impact driver for breaking loose Phillips head screws for the first time.
One like this
www.amazon.ca/TEKTON-2905-8-Inch-Manual-...a-420785539586&psc=1

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 4 months ago #22490

• Jorgeno
  • Thank you received: 11
Don’t forget to check your clutch plates in the clutch hub. The friction plates and the steel plates can get stuck together. :whistle:
ZG1300-6 86
ZN1300 86
GS1000G 82

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 4 months ago #22491

• bluefan44
I'm also a fan of the manual impact driver for breaking loose Phillips head screws for the first time.
One like this
www.amazon.ca/TEKTON-2905-8-Inch-Manual-...a-420785539586&psc=1

Sorry, there are normal phillips on this bike? Like the fittings and clamps while the engine is JIS? I didnt see a JIS head in that link.
edit: or i can just buy the short tip for it, duh.

Last edit: by bluefan44.

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 4 months ago #22494

• bluefan44
Pulled the tank tonight and found the good news being the bottom of the tank had a half cup of gas in it still! The hoses are still full of the glorious stuff. Pulled one of the spark plugs and the cylinder and head look a little dirty from normal wear.

The electrics look and feel like they just rolled off the factory floor! Going to grease everything anyways. Only a few very small specs of corrosion on creases of the motor. The cam shaft cover and clutch cover are nearly welded to the engine with the old gaskets being the way they are. I'll spray it with wd40 over the next few days to try to get it to loosen up. All the hoses seem to be in nearly new condition except for the line to the petcock which tore pretty easily.

I'm going to check the carbs, cam shaft to see if it turns, and clutch plates. If everything looks good i'm going to use starter fluid in a couple of weeks after lubing everything to see if it will turn over with a new battery.

It has the tools that came with the bike under the seat. The owners manual, a rain suit, bike cover, and insurance paperwork back to 1990 in the bags. Is the top back case supposed to be able to move back and forth like that 6-7 inches?

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds