Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 2 months ago #22994

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
Another member here "Scotch" in one of his topic's on carb's tells how to make the proper flathead screwdriver for just those jets

kz1300.com/index.php/forum/carburators-f...79-carb-rebuild-pt-1
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 2 months ago #22995

• zed_thirteen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
be careful not to loose the fiber (depron?) washers that go on the slides (on the metal guide tube between the two needle pistons). If you loose one it buggers up the needle heights across the carbs
1980 KZ1300 B2 Touring/A2
1990 ZZ-R1100 C1
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 2 months ago #22998

• propav8r
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33

bluefan44 wrote: Thank you, but there seems to be a mixup due to me not using the proper terms for my tools. I'm looking for a slotted driver head that i can buy to the fit of jet slots. I didn't particularly feel like picking up a grinder to make the needed slotted tool myself. I already have the JIS tools no thanks to every single tool store in 25 miles. Thats how I was able to unscrew everything from the carbs in the first place.

Again, sorry went to graveyard shift at the factory and i'm still trying to stay awake so words are not great now.

Scotch talks about the right size flat drivers here: www.kz1300.com/index.php/forum/carburato...ebuild-pt-1?start=12

I didn't do anything special for the main jet removal on mine. A regular flat blade fit those nicely. On the idle jet, I just took an old 1/8" flat blade and ran a bastard file across the tip to make it shorter/thicker to fit the idle jet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluefan44

Low mile kz1300 where to start 4 years 11 months ago #23936

• bluefan44
  • bluefan44's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
For an update. It has been a long and cold winter in the garage. I did nothing.

This weekend was really nice so I refurbished the carbs while the kids were drawing on the sidewalk. Using a torch and plenty of wd i got everything pulled out no problem except the idle jets. With more heat and lube those came out eventually as well. After a dip in acetone and a scrub with a toothbrush they cleaned up really nicely.

Putting them back on today she sounds far better than my first cleaning attempt. There are still a few issues though. She still shuts down if i turn the choke off. The rpm is roaming from 1k to 3k. After a few seconds she is leaking a bunch of coolant from a few different places i think. So i'm going to have to pull the engine out and replace all of the gaskets if i'm going to do one.

I'm not sure i'm up for that. It's going to require a few more tools and a lot more time to do it myself.

Low mile kz1300 where to start 4 years 11 months ago #23940

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 830
She still shuts down if i turn the choke off. The rpm is roaming from 1k to 3k. and
After a dip in acetone and a scrub with a toothbrush they cleaned up really nicely.

Many things can create a "roaming" problem. Save yourself a lot of future carb-tuning frustrations and REPLACE the idle jets with new ones !!!
Cleaning OLD idle jets is useless !
Look at: www.kz1300.com/index.php/forum/carburato...le-jets-vs-old#20859
If one of your coolant leaks appears to be from the water-pump seal leave it for now. The mechanical seal surfaces may re-seat with some further running !
And for what it's worth - Lacquer-Thinner is the best damned cleaner there is !
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluefan44

Last edit: by scotch.

Low mile kz1300 where to start 4 years 10 months ago #24258

• bluefan44
  • bluefan44's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Running

With two small kids demanding so much attention I havnt been able to do as much as I want. But shes starts without a hitch and I can turn the choke off. I had to buy an air compressor to blow the cleaner through the passageways. Ran her around the block to check the feel and I need to get everything back to spec.

Not wanting to accelerate from a stopped idle. Issues going uphill from a stop. Revving without touching the throttle. Running super rich. All small adjustments to get dialed in over the next couple of weeks.

Longer-term I need to rebuild the forks, adjust rear shocks if not replace them, finish this damn gas tank, replace water pump seal, and put in the chain tensioner.

Kid tax.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds