Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 3 months ago #22779

• bluefan44
  • bluefan44's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Broke the fuel gage cover (14025-1091) in half getting it off with the plastic being brittle. It's only there to catch gas from a leak right?

Decided not to start doing a bunch of the mods until I decide what I want for the bike. I can ride her and in a few years if she still does it for me I can put new tits on her then. If not i'll get more for her being factory.

After oiling the pistons with marvel oil, filling with oil, and putting in the new battery I used starting fluid to see if she would turn over, SHE DOES! I got a nice half second glug before I stopped before i could burn out the starter which i will eventually replace with a 4 poll. Easy way to hook up gas to see if it will run while the tank is drying from the POR-15 this week? I want her to start for me before I redo the brakes, and I want to run her with water in the radiator for a bit to help start flushing it out.

Where do yall recommend I get the braided steel lines for the brakes, and do you know the lengths off the top of your head?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by bluefan44.

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 3 months ago #22785

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
Personally, all the lines I don’t make I order from a racing supplier. Don’t trust joe blow making lines.

Try Pegasus. But you have to know what you want made.

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 3 months ago #22787

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Aside from the modifications noted in this forum, I suggest the following:

1) Replace the IDLE jets !!!!!! (Unless it is very evident this has already been done)
2) Replace the Alternator Stator with a NEW aftermarket.
3) Replace the Voltage Regulator with a modern MOSFET V/R
4) then: you can just "service" the original starter motor and can then use an inexpensive battery.

Quality S/S brake lines are sold bike specific so length is moot
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Last edit: by scotch.

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 3 months ago #22873

• bluefan44
  • bluefan44's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4

After having let her soak in seafoam then draining and refilling the carbs she runs! How well I'm not sure. I'm hearing something from the starter area. She shuts off as soon as the choke is off. Still trying to por 15 the tank after having to do overtime at the factory. The por15 can is pretty small. Is this thing enough to coat the inside of the tank?

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 3 months ago #22874

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164

bluefan44 wrote: The por15 can is pretty small. Is this thing enough to coat the inside of the tank?

While I can't speak to the 1300 tank specifically, on other tanks that I've done, I got a significant portion of the POR can back once I poured it out of the tank.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluefan44

Last edit: by Bucko.

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 3 months ago #22876

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
POR-15 - yes, it is enough. I've done it on KZ1300 tank and lots of left over. It will spread - you need to move the tank around, upside down and so on, to fill all the tight places. Then drain (that can be messy - wear gloves), and then let it sit with all the holes open. It will stink! But the stink will subside in 3-4 days. After a week manageable, but I still kept it in a plastic bag, unless you can keep it outside your bedroom! haha I'd give it extra time to get rid of the off gasses - if it stinks they are there. Then - rinse with a bit of fuel first, then fill it up on the bike!

Oh yeah, almost forgot - congratulation on having a running bike!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluefan44

Last edit: by StanG.
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds