Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 4 months ago #22567

• Raygun
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17

bluefan44 wrote: First round of cleaning out the tank went well with purple power to get the old gas varnish. I'll use apple cider vinegar when I get free time next. How does my petcock and fuel level look? I know the fuel level float needs a clean, but it actuated just dandy.

The petcock even has plier markings where the original owner forced it to turn. Easy way to fix that?

If you plan on removing the electric fuel solenoid (many of us do), I'd go with a vacuum actuated fuel petcock. You can buy one new that fit Suzuki GS motorcycles from the same era for a good price. It gives me peace of mind.
1982 KZ1300
2003 KLX400SR
1999 KDX220
Wife
Son
Daughter
Cat x 3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Raygun.

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 4 months ago #22572

• Neville
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 75
I have been through 2 standard petcocks - I think this was designed(?) by the same person that created the original cam chain tensioner - it was always going to seize at some point and both of mine ended up virtually unmoveable without mole grips or similar. My solution was to fit a Pingel valve in 2006 and have reaped the benefit ever since! - see picture. This is one of the best mods you can make to a standard bike and is described in the FAQ.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stocktoy, Kawboy, bluefan44

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 4 months ago #22575

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
A better fuel tap design would have included, like most bikes of the day, a sediment bowl below the tap. The current designs lets all the crud from the tank collect in the the tap body which eventually causes it to jam. A sediment bowl would provide a place for the sediment to collect without jamming the tap and a convenient location for an occasional crud clean out.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 3 months ago #22576

• bluefan44
  • bluefan44's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4

Neville wrote: I have been through 2 standard petcocks - I think this was designed(?) by the same person that created the original cam chain tensioner - it was always going to seize at some point and both of mine ended up virtually unmoveable without mole grips or similar. My solution was to fit a Pingel valve in 2006 and have reaped the benefit ever since! - see picture. This is one of the best mods you can make to a standard bike and is described in the FAQ.

Before I buy the wrong thing again, this is the stuff? I also need liquid gasket any brand youd recommend? When i remove the solenoid what sort of issues will i encounter?

I decided to get it turning over and running a bit before fixing the things that are broken one at a time.

Any write ups for checking the radiator and brakes out yall recommend? I see people saying do and do not use DOT 5.
Attachments:

Last edit: by bluefan44.

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 3 months ago #22584

• Neville
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 75
I bought the Pingel Valve from Z1 Enterprises - Petcock - Pingel High-Flow Fuel Valve - Single Outlet 3/8 NPT - part No. PI6211-AH. This mated to a Petcock Adapter Plate 44mm 3/8 NPT - Part No. PIA1702C. Your part numbers look correct to me. Also looks like the prices have increased somewhat from 2006! - I paid $67.94 for the valve and $12.40 for the adapter. I used Hylomar Universal Blue sealant as this is fuel resistant.

I have not encountered any issues in operation without the solenoid valve but religiously turn off the fuel tap when ever the engine is not running - over the years, many on this site have reported all sorts of issues with the solenoid valve. Suggest you remove it and put it in the same place as the original camchain tensioner. Hope this is helpful.

Last edit: by Neville.

Low mile kz1300 where to start 5 years 3 months ago #22585

• bluefan44
  • bluefan44's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Looking good! Checked all the lights and everything is going except for the radio not working. Pulled the petcock apart and after getting everything lubed up it's still super bad so yeah I'll replace that eventually. Ordering 5 or so oil filters. The carbs are super clean. I'm going to throw some Marvel Mystery Oil on the Pistons let it soak for a few days and fire it up. Next week if I get it to turn over I'll go ahead and order new tires and take care of the brakes.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds