Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22234

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Looking a bit closer, that's not a naked KZ1300. The passenger backrest looks like the outrageous bosozoku Japanese bike, hard to believe it's a factory Kawasaki. The give away is the rear fender and the tail light. That looks similar to a Voyager, definitely not a naked standard KZ. The king and queen seat as well. This looks like a touring version of a KZ, which is not a Voyager, made for fairings etc. so it would need all the things that would make it naked stock, as turn signals, headlight bracket etc. If you want a bare bones and then build based on it, this could be a good start. But either stock or aftermarket, requires lots of small things to make it complete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by StanG.

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22235

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Just what hit me now, the 'CA' in VIN I mentioned might be for Canada? I am not sure now. One thing I am sure of, my bike came from the USA, and that's where it was bought by the original owner. I think in the parts listed in the parts lists are marked as 'Canada', so maybe that what it stands for? Either way, my 1982 A4 has no Canadian trace, and all papers are USA. I actually tried to trace the owner, and he might be dead by now... I'd love to ride this bike to meet him, or his family if they remember the bike! That would be the most exhilarating thing to do!!! And showing it to the Vancouver lying asshole who sold it to me - NOT!

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22236

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
That is a B model (Touring). It is missing the bags (they are in the last picture). And of course that seat is no where close to original. Your can see the fairing in front of the bike on the ground and the fairing mount on the head between the forks. The fairing mount on the head unbolts (leaving just a bracket that is hidden behind a headlight).

Assuming it is to be converted to an A, I see:

Wiring needs to be investigated/cleaned up.
There is a fuel filter dangling, so I'd assume the tank needs to be cleaned, coated and the carbs need a through cleaning/rebuild.
Needs a seat (I just paid about $350 for a new repop - that is everything pan/rubber bumpers/foam/cover/belt/buckles)
Needs a tail and tail light
Needs headlight (OEM headlight/fork ears are EXPENSIVE, but you can find suitable aftermarket ones cheap)
Needs blinkers all the way around (and you will have to figure out how to mount the rears)
Needs side covers and emblems
Handle bars
Tank cap
With 60k miles, how much work the engine needs will depend on what has been done to it before and how well it was taken care of
Likely normal maintenance items (wheel bearings, throttle cables, etc on an as needed basis).

How much all that costs will depend on how original you want it. Personally, I am happy with period correct looking.

I have a $600 basket case in the garage. I am into it about $3500, but that includes new: BigBore kit, valve springs, 6-1 headers, Seat, Bars, Wheel/Steering/Swing arm bearings, turn signals, head light, fairing, front fender, cables, coils, hoses and new to me 6-piston calipers and hydraulic clutch.

On the other hand. For $1000 or less, it it ends up a total piece of crap, the tank is worth $500, the chrome behind the tank badges and the tank badges are worth big bucks as they are next to unobtainable. So just a few parts would net your $ back. Of course in CA, this bike as it sits is probably worth a good bit more than the current asking price.

If I was going to have a bike shipped, I'd rather have the one in Connecticut - it seems better cared for. But if the Montana one was within driving distance for me, I'd go for it. If it does not have a title, I'd really beat him down on price. In TX it's $200-$300 to get a title for something like that (including the required Bond) and a bit of a hassle. YMMV.

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22237

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Corrected some grammar ;)

The list of 'to do' is correct, and that would add up!

Frank and else, if you would add all original parts, I think you can see how 'those 'IF' good/perfect or redone to original state parts, as chrome for example, would add up. Plus the time spent doing it, the seemingly high price doesn't seem to high. Of course, some as that bike you posted a link to is indeed like the guy is on crack. People look at the high end and assume they have a gold mine. Equally, you can't go by the eBay prices. Many, waay too many, are nothing but a crack pot at best. A fucking pin because it is a NOS for 199, or whatever. Rrrrright..... I'll leave it at that.

That Montana bike would be good. From where I am, you already know, sucks... If in the USA - not bad. You get it to Canada and a 1000 bucks turns to 2000 or more if you need to borrow a truck. Perhaps 3k?
Even a silly transaction, it's 1 to 1.33. Plus, to the border and back, and pay fees for those services. Currently 3.74 a package. That's $5 per package. Makes sense with expensive shipping free items, but some small even free stuff is a deal breaker. And imagine if they would want to tax it on top of this.... A $1 free shipping is a bargain in the USA, but an expensive fucking perhaps $8, including gas, tom get it here. Sure, cheaper than 15 if the seller would send it, as often outrageous rates, to Canada, but multiplied by whatever it adds up. Poor us....

What I'm trying to say is, count your blessings getting it in the USA. Lots of opportunities! Unlike here. Get that one, if needed, get another one! It's a process, and that can be done.

Cheers folks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank833

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22238

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
That Seat looks like an original from an 82 touring model:
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank833

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22278

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Contacted the one in Montana . Owner asked what else it need besides the 2 side covers and to make an offer. I listed what it needed asked if he had any paperwork. No return correspondence?

I'm better waiting on one that's more complete. Just be patient .

Time to create page: 0.857 seconds