Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22167

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm new to the KZ1300 forum but have been around motorcycles for over 50 years. Currently have a 77' KZ1000 built, 74' CB750 K4, 74' CB450, and 75' Goldwing. In years past past I built a 79' CBX and 72' H2 and many other projects so I have a pretty good understanding of Japanese Classics.

I've alway admired the KZ1300 for it's uniqueness and always lean towards any interesting bike for a New Build. So far I haven't found a 13 yet but am extensively looking? Wouldn't mind even finding a running motor/trans. in a complete frame and going from there. So If anyone on the Forum has something that I may be interested in, please let me know. For me it doesn't have to be a complete original bike for I lean towards a Cafe Look and putting my own personal touch to it.

I see there are a lot of Voyagers out there which could be stripped down but wouldn't this be a completely different frame and geometry set-up than the earlier KZ's ?

Also, is Fuel injection a better set-up than the carbureted versions ?

Any opinions would be Greatly Appreciated !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22178

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
Voyagers (ZN1300) have a frame that is significantly different than a KZ. You can tell some of the differences from the part diagrams and others by looking at the bikes.

Here is a stripped down Voyager that is for sale:

sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/d/naked-kaw...1300/6747419149.html

The most noticeable differences (for me), are the lower seat height, the different shape of the frame around the side covers and the shorter tail.

Build which ever you are happier with...

I don't see a location in your profile. There are a couple of KZs for sale, not sure how close any are to you. There is a list in the for sale forum section.

On the carb vs FI. We are talking about a 30-35 year old FI setup. It's pretty basic, though nothing wrong with that. Parts availability is pretty rough so guys need to find alternatives for things like regulator and fuel pump. Both work. Both have their short comings.
Attachments:

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22179

• trainers
  • trainers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank, I appreciate your input. I live on the Central Coast of Ca. and that bike you have pictured is North of me and has been for sale for some time. I'd rather find a "carb.' KZ and not a striped down Voyager. So still looking, I know the bikes are quite heavy but would like to remove as much weight as possible. Being short in height, would want to lower the bike maybe a little and cut down the seat.

Other opinions Welcomed !

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22181

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
First, Welcome to the Forum. I always ask that new members at the very least indicate what area of the world they are in. It helps us understand especially when it comes to language how best to talk to you. In this case, we may be able to spot a project that you may wish to check out.

I'm 5ft 10" with a 30" inseam for pants. Not a short guy or a tall guy but something in the middle. The KZ is a little tall for me when sitting at a light. If it was 2" shorter it would be ideal. I had a 1979 CBX and it was a little tall but I'm guessing an inch shorter than the KZ so that reference you would be familiar with. I haven't had the pleasure of sitting on a Voyager so I can't give you any ideas. Maybe some of the other guys can advise you here.

As to lowering the bike to accommodate your height- Not something I would consider. It messes up the geometry and lowers the entire bike making it more likely to ground out on a corner and I for one have grounded out and lost it. Not something I ever want to do again.

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22182

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
The one in Montana looks reasonably complete. I drove 20hrs round trip to pickup my last....

KZ 1st. Build ? 5 years 4 months ago #22183

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
There's some subtle differences. The ZN Voyager has a dropped down section that supports the seat, then rises back up to the rear section.

The zn 1300 has a seat height of 29.8" and the KZ1300 has a seat height of 32". I might also suggest that the seat on the KZ appears to be wider than the ZN seat. Not sure if that's true or not. Just judging by the pictures.

The KZ1300 A1 has a few differences in the rear section where the seat mounts and also the brackets for the rear signal lights.

The KZ1300 B2 uses a different seat and the brackets for the rear signals are missing since the rear signals on the B model are mounted to the triple bags.

I had the B2 model with the full faring and bags. Not my style so I ditched the bags and faring, then reworked the brackets to install the A1 tail section and the story goes on........
Attachments:

Last edit: by Kawboy.
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds