Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Crusin Image 1370cc Big Bore Kit 5 years 5 months ago #21712

• Frank833
  • Frank833's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
I've seen a number of questions on this kit. I am in the process of using one so thought I would share a bit...

The kit was $290 off ebay with shipping to the USA. I ordered on a Monday and it arrived that Thursday.

The pistons are cast (as are OEM). The as-cast crown surface is a bit rougher than my OEM pistons.

The pistons measure spot on 64.00mm at the bottom front-to-back (as the manual shows to measure them). Side to side at the bottom they are 63.70-63.75. At the top they are 63.47-63.50 in either direction.

Tramming the mill in preparation for boring...

Boring in progress

When folks talk about machining something to go over the liner, they are talking about this potion that sticks out below the cylinders. That liner support would ONLY be used during the boring/honing operations. The case supports this part of the liner once assembled. I chose not to make the support and just limited how much material I removed each pass. As this portion is an interrupted cut it is important everything is rigid.

A freshly bored cylinder (not honed).

I bored 2 cylinders last night. Took it slow, ended up doing about 5 passes for each cylinder. My Ammco hone, at 2.5" (63.5mm) is just barely small enough to do these cylinders.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen, Kawboy, Daro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Frank833.

Crusin Image 1370cc Big Bore Kit 5 years 5 months ago #21713

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1028
Nice !! A man doing his own work. Love it. Looking forward to seeing your progression. Do you have access to a precision hone for the final fit?

Just a word of caution. The liners will press out of the cylinder casting. Some are tighter than others. Some have had their cylinder blocks in an oven to cure paint and brought them out of the oven and set them on a table only to find all of the liners fall out of the cylinder block. Some are tighter depending on build up in the coolant passages. Just thought I should mention it. Wouldn't want you to have a head gasket leak due to a liner protruding a couple of thou.
Just silicone orings keeping them in place. The top of the liner has a flange. The liners push out from the bottom (just in case you didn't know). Typical wet liners.

KB

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Crusin Image 1370cc Big Bore Kit 5 years 5 months ago #21724

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Nice indeed! Thank you for posting.

BY the way, have you checked the piston rings? We have a dilemma on another thread about aftermarket piston rings, as we bought sets of rings from cruzinimage as well. The issue is with the top ring - it doesn't have a bevel, and no traces of chrome on it. Both top and second rings look identical. I don't think that's good.

Would you mind checking yours and let us know what's there?

Last edit: by StanG.

Crusin Image 1370cc Big Bore Kit 5 years 5 months ago #21729

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I will check my rings tonight. I've not opened the packages for any of the ring sets.

On the hone... I have an Ammco Rigid. I don't think you can buy these any more. Mine is 3/4 of the way to being an antique. Much like my ring filler - with all the cheap tools these days, a lot of well made stuff is simply out of production. Sometimes it is better to buy a lightly used 30 year old tool. But the Ammco rigid hone is effectively the same as the Sunnen rigid portable hones. New stones are still available for the Ammco. Mine is in a green box and I have fine/med/coarse stones. But otherwise, looks like this:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Crusin Image 1370cc Big Bore Kit 5 years 5 months ago #21731

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1028
The hone I had in my workshop was a Lisle 15000. Still well supported for stones. 4 expanding stones that all move in or out synchronously through a central gear drive. With a bit of practice, you can achieve a true round bore within .0002". If you wanted to true up a bore or go to the next oversize and it's less than .010" bore difference, you could just use the Lisle hone. More than .010 and you really need to bore true to within .003" - .004" and then hone.

Ebay Lisle cylinder hone

Crusin Image 1370cc Big Bore Kit 5 years 5 months ago #21737

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I replied to StanG in the Ring Thread...

Finished up bore/hone today. This will sit for a little while as I used this to fill some time while waiting for some aluminum needed for one of my race cars.

So now it's back to squeezing this dry sump setup into the car. I did cast the oil pan in the picture in my back yard! May cast my own design KZ1400 emblems for the bike.

Hope to have the bike together and running by Christmas.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen, Kawboy

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds