Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 4 months ago #22158

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Hahaha, that's a funny story about the cleaning lady. As they say, loose lips sink ships! Definitely you need to keep your wife happy.

Thank you very much for the offer Paul! You know, mine is A4, so it would be good to have it on the shelf and for reference when I get back to building this current engine.
The 79 - 81 models are almost identical and many similarities to the 82 A4. When I said I 'pulled the plug' on that engine I meant I am not going to spend money now on pressing the cylinders, honing, anything requiring a machine shop, and major like those piston rings and cylinder head gasket. But I will slowly sort out what I have to get as far as I can with what I have.

If you could print the files and send me a copy that would be great. Just that parts book, I have all the manuals. Please send me a PM about this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22300

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Quick update: old pistons have gone for machining to drill an extra 10 oil holes per piston. I'll post pics when they are done.

Other thing I have been doing is painting all engine cover bolts black... very tedious, but hopefully worth it in final aesthetic appeal. Here they all are drying on the radiator together with the two reed valve caps, kindly donated to me by Frank.

The one engine cover that I messed up with bad paint has been bead blasted. However, I can still see the slight imperfection which did show up in the paint last time round. The machinist says it is a fault in the casting and he reckons I should do a very light coat of filler so it won't show up again.

You can just see the slightly darker 'fissure' running vertical from the 2nd A upwards... ignore the horizontal scratch, that will polish out and/or be covered by the paint. As I have seen the casting problem come through the paint before I am slightly nervous...

....[sigh] its never straightforward is it?

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
Attachments:

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22352

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
After three failed attempts... victory!!

Now the wait is on the pistons with an extra 10 holes each drilled into them, then assembly of the engine can start again.

Starting to think about the frame now, and in particular the forks. Öhlins are quite dear I have found out. There are other upside down forks that seem just as good and a fraction of the price. For instance; Ebay UK currently lists a GT650R USD complete front end for £325 (item number 283294314406). That is forks, triple trees, two brake discs and callipers, brake lines, mud spat and the wheel. .... just one second hand Öhlins fork costs that amount! No idea if it will fit, but just to show the price difference out there.

Paul
Attachments:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22367

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Looking pretty nice!
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22369

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Before your guy will machine the pistons, I just quickly want to show exactly how they look in a close up. I think you mentioned a few posts ago that the bevels are different angles, so I'd like to clarify all the info, as things might be different from a ZN piston.

As I mentioned earlier, there is a machined groove. From my crude measurements with common calipers, it shows 0.55 mm. If you go 0.5 or 0.6 wouldn't make a difference I bet. After doing this to the desired depth, the beveled edge could be touched up slightly to what looks like 45 degrees angle.

There is also a minimal bevel on the top edge above the oil ring. It's not as pronounced as the bottom bevel. Can you see it? I haven't noticed it before, but it's there. Same thing the second ring - but seems to be a little smaller. They both look like 45 degrees. The top ring groove teems to be the same.

You can also get the cues about the measurements from the photo. I don't think it has to be super precise - there is no piston ring going in there.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, good luck!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Last edit: by StanG.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 3 months ago #22421

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
My machinist called to say he cannot drill the outer two holes as the piston is too thick there and he keep breaking off the drills... so I said drill three on each side where you can. I have not got them back yet, so still no progress on the engine. Hopefully next week.

Thinking about new front forks, but my thoughts are on another thread.

Spitting feathers this morning... got a letter from our esteemed London Mayor explaining that my 1982 KZ1000P will incur a daily £12 (= USD 15) for the privilege of riding in Central London. I take the bike when I go see clients in Central London so as to avoid the horrendously expensive and overcrowded and slow underground, and also as it is much more environmentally friendly than taking a cab, and parking is relatively easy, and I pay no congestion charge (£10) which most cars attract currently. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I guess the pressure is on to finish this project as pre-1979 bikes are exempt. Which leads to another question: where and how can I find out the exact manufacture date of my bike?

Mine is an early KZ imported from US, so no UK documentation... Other than Kawasaki themselves, anyone any ideas? Googling did not bring anything useful up.

Apparently a number were built in 1978 as the bike was unveiled in Sept 1978 and the press could get their hands on examples in November...

Paul

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds