Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 2 years 9 months ago #29316

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
Hi Paul,
If I had to speculate, your clutch issue may be one of 3 things.

Item 16 Cam Release Inner part # 13119-1005 has 3 ball bearing pockets with cam tails. It's rotated by item 18 the clutch release lever. The cam release inner reacts against item #22 Ball Assembly, Clutch release part# 92045-1014. The ball assembly reacts against the Cam Release Outer part # 13119-1006. The cam release outer is located in the clutch release engine cover with a split roll pin. 
I suspect that something happened to the roll pin and maybe the cam release outer has rotated out of position or
one of the three ball bearings fell out of the ball assembly or 
The clutch release lever is worn and rotated on the shaft of the Cam Release inner.
In any event, I would focus my attention to that area first before diving in any deeper.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 2 years 8 months ago #29367

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Thanks Kawboy,

So in the diagram, which number is the Cam Release Outer part # 13119-1006? And where is that split roll pin? Can I access any of these without having to take the main LH side clutch cover off and draining the oil? If so, then I will have a look this weekend (crazy busy at work at the mo), but if not, I will order some new oil and filter first as I will then do the oil and filter change as well as the tappet adjustment (if needed) that is required after a running in period. Bigger job altogether....

Cheers
Paul

Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 2 years 8 months ago #29368

• Stiggy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • March 1961
  • Thank you received: 17
Could the clutch issue be something very simple,   such as the cable outer was not in its adjuster location correctly,  eg  cable outer end sitting on the edge, and now it has dropped in , causing slack in the cable.  
1985 ZG1300 dfi
1977 Z1000 a1 recent purchase, previously owned by myself 1979 ~2000

Last edit: by Stiggy.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 2 years 8 months ago #29369

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

Thanks Kawboy,

So in the diagram, which number is the Cam Release Outer part # 13119-1006? And where is that split roll pin? Can I access any of these without having to take the main LH side clutch cover off and draining the oil? If so, then I will have a look this weekend (crazy busy at work at the mo), but if not, I will order some new oil and filter first as I will then do the oil and filter change as well as the tappet adjustment (if needed) that is required after a running in period. Bigger job altogether....

Cheers
Paul

Cam Release Outer is part #17 and the roll pin appears to be at 12 O'clock. the roll pin locates the clutch release outer to the outer cover. You would have to pull that outer cover to inspect.
Siggy may be on to something. i have seen it before but it usually shows up when doing the initial adjustment, not many miles down the road. what can happen is the swage of the ferrule to the outer cable is not true round and it doesn't fit the clutch lever or at the other end in the clutch cover. Eventually (sometimes) the force of applying the clutch will pull the outer cable into place. Not common but not out of the question either. In any case, I would pull the clutch cover and have a good look at all those clutch release pieces. You don't need to lose your clutch again on the road.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 2 years 8 months ago #29383

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Hi both, thanks, it feels like it is one of those two options as it now feels fine after I adjusted the cable. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was something as simple (stupid!) as that! I can’t remember housing the pin tbh, so very possible it never did and only after those 600-odd miles, it suddenly did. 

but I will take the cover off and inspect as piece of mind!

ill report  back! 

cheers
paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 2 years 8 months ago #29400

• Stiggy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • March 1961
  • Thank you received: 17
Paul,   it would be very easy to replicate the simple scenario.   Back off the lower clutch adjuster,   sit cable outer on the edge of adjuster, set up clutch cable free play, then push cable outer into the adjuster as it should be.  See if it feels the same as it did when it failed.  
I like simple,    it goes with my mentality.

1985 ZG1300 dfi
1977 Z1000 a1 recent purchase, previously owned by myself 1979 ~2000

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds