Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 8 months ago #27596

• stocktoy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 91
When we had to install decals on our trucks at work they would spray soapy water from a squirt bottle on the surface first so they could move the decals around and get any air bubbles or creases out using a small bondo applicator before the water evaporated

might work for you...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 8 months ago #27611

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96

strate6 wrote:
I have had Predator Stainless Systems on a few of my own 1300's and they are very well made.

Pete F
UK

So I went to see them to check on progress. They made a jig back for the downpipes in the late seventies that they have been using for several KZ1300's but strangely enough, the two outer pipes are hitting my frame. ...? They are getting round it as they have a pipe bender and can adjust, but they asked me if I had changed the frame. I haven't, and as far as I know the engine came with the frame.

He did say that a few KZ1300 went to California for the Police to review and these had a slightly different frames as they were more based on a LTD-type frame and the engine was slightly more 'canted' in the frame.

Mine did come from the USA and judging from the amount of sand and dust that came out of the engine when stripping it, it could have been one of those.... but I highly doubt it.

Anyone else have a another plausible explanation (just out of interest!)?

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 7 months ago #27622

• Bar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi Paul,

how do you like the Bridgestone Battlax BT45?
did you put the same for the front?
what size did you use for front and rear?
150-80? -17 for rear
120/70-17 for front?

Thank you
Eran

McBoney wrote: Ugh! Cheapest quote to get this machined was USD380 from a firm in China. Cheapest UK quote was over £400!

That is NOT in the budget, so now going to experiment with existing yokes. I have got a cheap one from an MV Agusta 750 which looks likely to fit with minimal work.

In the meantime my new rear tyre turned up (front still not in stock). I got it mounted and balanced (and annoyed as they chipped my new powder coat!) and got it onto the bike. This is a Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 150mm wide, and if you look at the pics, these fit the swingarm fine with at least 1-2cm clearance.

Once the front tyre arrives and I have sorted the triple tree conundrum (see other thread), the engine can go back into the frame and then it will start looking like a bike again.

1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2002 Honda CBR954

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 7 months ago #27623

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have only ridden about 5 miles on it (no number plate!) and tbh was concentrating on other things (like how ff-ing fast this thing is!). The Battlax seems fine. I was told it was a slightly hard tyre, but I have not noticed anything problematic or uncomfortable. Its a heavy bike... Grips fine, looks great, price OK and it is not a cheap brand (Bridgestone).

In the end they did not get the front one, so I got an Avon Road Rider. Very similar tread pattern as the Battlax and also seems OK and looks the part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bar

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 7 months ago #27626

• Bar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45

McBoney wrote: I have only ridden about 5 miles on it (no number plate!) and tbh was concentrating on other things (like how ff-ing fast this thing is!). The Battlax seems fine. I was told it was a slightly hard tyre, but I have not noticed anything problematic or uncomfortable. Its a heavy bike... Grips fine, looks great, price OK and it is not a cheap brand (Bridgestone).

In the end they did not get the front one, so I got an Avon Road Rider. Very similar tread pattern as the Battlax and also seems OK and looks the part.

what size did you end up with?
150-80-17 for rear?
120/70-17 for front?

the Battlax are good tires, look like ill end with them as well
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2002 Honda CBR954

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 7 months ago #27627

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I bought from Demontweeks:

Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Motorcycle Tyre
120/80 17 M/C (61H) TL
1 £91.00

Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Motorcycle Tyre
150/70 17 M/C (69V) TL
1 £116.00

The front was difficult to get so I got the Avon Roadrider version. Same size similar price.

Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bar

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds