Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 9 months ago #27259

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Thanks, I took the filter apart and it is immediately apparent that they are inferior. Look at the metal 'shrapnel' just waiting to break off and go into the engine! I drilled them out and got rid of all the loose bits, and as I have nothing else yet, I stuck it back on - for now.

So I finally managed to get the front brakes to work. We were all wrong. The issue was that the offset between the forks and the calipers was too great and the pressure pushed the RH pistons in so far that they could not seal, I found out by putting the caliper on a table higher than the MC thinking the air would drift up, but forgot to put something in between the pistons. So the pistons closed all the way and he presto, pressure!

Then I put them onto the bike and pressure gone again.... grrr...anyway an hour later and it becomes apparent that when I tighten the bolts attaching the calipers to the forks, I lose pressure. A few washers later and we are in business! ... Pfff Brembo prima-donna stuff!

So as it was firing nicely and I had brakes, I then decided to go for the maiden voyage in my road. WHAT A ROCKETSHIP!! Incredible! And I haven't even balanced the carbs yet!.

Then halfway in, it died. No idea why until I got home and put the petcock into PRI... then it had fuel again. Another run confirmed that my petcock does not work unless on PRI (free flow). This is a petcock for a Kawasaki Zephyr 1100 as that is the tank I have. I think I need to attach it to a vacuum somewhere as it has a second very thin nozzle, but not sure how that works. For the moment I will just run on PRI and set to Res when parked. No issues with the fuel filter though... obviously my slightly larger holes are enough - having said that, I have not hammered the bike as I need at least 1000 miles to run it in. And there is no need as it is so powerful!

I also took the spark plugs out to see what mixture I was running. One was black (so a little rich), two and three were nicely coffee brown and white, four five and six were as per the pic. I think the last three are a little lean. So I will turn the screw for one out by a half turn, and in for four to six by a half turn. Then go for another run tomorrow. Hope fully the balancing kit will arrive end of this week, then I can set them up properly.

Its already so good... it can only get better! :cheer:

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 9 months ago #27265

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Agreed,
The quality of that type of Petrol Filter is not the best, but I have had one fitted to my current Z1300 with no issues what-so-ever and covered nearly 2000 miles including motorway runs at over 70 mph for 300 miles.
I have also fitted the same type of filter to other Z1300's in the past without issues either but only after checking the "flow rate" from the tap to the carbs in the first place.

The benefit of this type of glass filter is that you can actually see the condition of the fuel and if the filter needs cleaning.
If you had fitted a "Blind" filter, you would not have seen the issue you had with the discolouring earlier ??........food for thought ?

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch, McBoney

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 9 months ago #27266

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
Can't dispute the intrinsic value of "seeing" your fuel. And in the examples pictured, where the filter is visible - certainly. The 2-pack I bought - once - one would not reassemble straight (Parallel) so it leaked and the 2nd .....couldn't get it apart ! I put that down to nothing more then the crappy thread machining. And I use the term "Machining" ....loosely !
My filter location doesn't provide a clear (no pun intended) view, so that point is moot, for myself. With the WIX - I back-flush it once after 1 year of use - after 2 years I replace it.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 9 months ago #27271

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
All good Scotch.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotch

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 9 months ago #27273

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 831
We all make work, what we can !B)
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 9 months ago #27292

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Right, I managed to get the carbs set up reasonably well (thanks for the phone assistance Pete!) and the vacuum is the same across all carbs (but only 5 inch). I still need to adjust mixture and my Colortune kit is coming next week. And then maybe mess around with the fast idle and choke etc...

I took it out for a five mile run and it seems to behave. Only thing I notice is lack of power at low revs, which I think is mixture related. I didn't want to go high revs as its still running in, but overall it does what it says on the tin. It idles, runs, goes fast when you need it, goes around corners OK and stops fine.

But it is more of a race bike than standard in that you sit quite hunched over which I think on long runs that will be tiring on the arms and hands. But then again, all the modern stuff seems to be that way too, so people do it...

All-in-all I accomplished what I wanted to do: take a wreck and build it into something unique. And it was more about the build/journey than about the end result, although it turning out like it has is very pleasing.

I'll await my new number plate, get the new seat and the new exhaust pipes and then do another few updates here.... but tbh, I'm already itching to do another! :P
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Last edit: by McBoney.
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds