Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 9 months ago #27234

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
New problem. Battery empty this morning and charger would not charge until I disconnected it from the bike. So obviously a bad connection somewhere ....

Oh deep joy! :S

Did I mention before I hate electrics??!!
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 9 months ago #27235

• englishcw
  • Thank you received: 25
Motogadget . These have a Parking Light Facility , and it is easy to miss that a Lamp is lit . Check it out before you go tearing into anything .
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 9 months ago #27237

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I will check, but I doubt it is that.

I connected the unit up a month ago and it held charge all that time. I think the trouble started when I wired up the coils correctly ... both terminals to positive leads rather than one positive and one to ground.

And here is another mystery? Colour change overnight of the petrol. It was clear yesterday and what’s in the tank is still clear.

I am charging the battery at the moment. I will try to connect everything back up tomorrow and see - one by one - which connection gives me a bad reading, if there is a bad one. ... after I checked the parking lights of course!

Cheers
Paul
Attachments:

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 9 months ago #27239

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

McBoney wrote:
And here is another mystery? Colour change overnight of the petrol. It was clear yesterday and what’s in the tank is still clear.

I suspect that whatever you selected for fuel line and installed, is not compatible with fuel and the line(s) are breaking down and discoloring the fuel (not good). I would remove maybe the line between the tank and fuel filter and swab the inside of the line with a Q-tip and if it comes out black, you have your answer.
That fuel line I see in the picture reminds me of the vacuum lines on VW's because of the cloth braid. Maybe that's what they are??

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 9 months ago #27240

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Nope, that braided line was sold to me as a 'classically looking fuel line'... fleabay... :angry:

I shall investigate, and replace as I have some Mercedes fuel line left.

I have got a lot of investigations to do today:

- fuel line
- fuel mixture setting
- potential parasitic draw somewhere
- brake line air in the front system still
- vacuum leak in carb rubbers

Getting it started was a big milestone, but the bike is far from finished! (which is good as what else will I do with my spare, ...sorry, furloughed time?? Another one? Ha!)

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 9 months ago #27242

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
Re. the spongy front brake lever, try cable-tying the lever back to the bar overnight, it should be solid when you try it in the morning. It's worked for me a few times on bikes over the years. Don't ask me how it works it just does lol. And I remember having to suck through the brake fluid in the line to the rear caliper, I used a vacuum pump as I use one in my trade as a refrigeration engineer. I guess a syringe could be used instead.
Only dead fish go with the flow

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds