Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 10 months ago #27153

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
It does, thank you!

Another odd one... (they seem to find me!:S ) ... I sold off the old front shocks and wheel and discs that were on the bike when I bought it, but the guy who bought them says they cant be off a z1300 as the shocks dia is 2mm thinner, the discs are slightly smaller and the wheel is 19". Even the speedo drive doesn't fit he says.

If he can't use them I will refund his money, but I am at a loss to explain it. This is not something 'special' they did on some KZ1300's? And then, if true, why and what can they be off of? Length was 83cm and there are not many bikes with that long forks... and they are definitely Kawasaki... and the steering pin fits my bike perfectly...

??

Attached some pics of the bike as bought.... perhaps anyone has any ideas?

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 10 months ago #27154

• globemaster
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 55
The photos look like a 1979 A1. The early ones had 10 1/4" (260mm) front brake rotors. Later production (all KZ1300's) had 12" front brake rotors.
Front fork assemblies for 1979 A1 & 1980 A2 are the same. Inner fork tubes are the same for A1, A2, & B2. B2 has different outer fork tubes.
A3 & A4 have a different front fork assembly. The outer fork tubes are the same as a B2, but the inner front fork tubes are different. Sorry, I don't remember the diameters.
No clue as to the 19" front wheel. The speedometer gear box assembly is probably unique to the 19" front wheel.
After closer examination of the photos, my opinion is that the entire front fork front/wheel assembly is from some model that is NOT a KZ1300.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Last edit: by globemaster.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 10 months ago #27157

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Definitely not a Z1300 or KZ1300 front end and front wheel.
Probably Z1000 or similar Kawasaki from that era. I "Think" the Z1000 LTD had slightly longer forks and a 19 inch wheel.
Definitely a KZ1300 frame.
The White oblong sticker on the front right frame down tube will confirm exactly what the bike was built as (USA Federal Sticker) which shows date of manufacture, weight, frame number, tyre sizes etc, etc......

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 10 months ago #27158

• globemaster
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 55
Best guess: Kawasaki Z 1000. Maybe 1980 -1981. Had 19" front wheel and 9.25" dual front brake rotors.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 10 months ago #27159

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks guys... still remains the question: why? But he, mystery (sort-of) solved.

I'll let the buyer know what he may have bought - well, .... has been given, as I refunded him.

Paul

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 10 months ago #27196

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Today I welded the two loose pipes to the remainder of the exhaust system. One left, one right. Some bits were so thin I blew straight through. I managed to get it all done - not pretty, but it will be underneath and not visible.

The right section went on no problem, fifteen minutes on my own with a jack.

The left would simply not go on, I could not get it on far enough to get the nuts onto two of the pipes... there were two of us swearing for at least an hour. And I think we stripped the first two turns of one stud :-(

After dinner I had a closer look and it seems one of the clamps is fouling the oil plug, so I will have to "re-adjust" it. Then I'll have another go.

Good news is that I tested the tank and it seems to be liquid tight, so that can go onto the bike.

Onwards....

Paul

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds