Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 10 months ago #27023

• Bar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45

McBoney wrote: Myeah... not quite. It's the little things finishing up that take the time.

I got my new speedo halfway plumbed in and then discovered it was the wrong one (for a car). Undo everything again. I still have to figure out how to a) cut a hole 64mm dia in a curved headlight binnacle and b) how to fit a flat speedo to a curved binnacle. I have been told to make a ring to fit from either Delrin(?) or Sugru(?). I'll have to google that to see what it is, where I can get it and if that will work.

It also took four attempts to get the battery box into the frame right, and then another three tries fitting the battery before I decided to cut part of the battery to accommodate the terminals.

I have just only found a fuel sender unit that fits my tank.... which has a weird bolt pattern - not sure if standard, but it looks original, can't explain it.

Then I discovered that the speedo needed two more wires from the back to the front of the bike, so I undid all the heat shrink, pulled two more lines through, heat shrink again... ran out of heat shrink... UGH! Gotta wait until more is delivered.

etc etc.. familiar story I'm sure to anyone building stuff form scratch without a manual... all good fun though!

On a more serious note, I am getting close to the end, and so today I reached out to someone who hopefully will build me a custom exhaust. If they can do what I required, once the wiring is finished, it can go there. Once it comes back, its firing up time!

Couple of weeks! (he says, everything crossed)

I am pretty much building the bike twice
I will build the bike complete as it is and ride it, make sure I like it all, where and how it position, Make sure all is working.
Then I will take it a part for painting and put it back together.
Maybe it more work but I can make as many changes as I want and make sure I like it.
There is no right or wrong about it and each one of us have his own way, that’s what make the world goes…
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2002 Honda CBR954

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 10 months ago #27031

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Yes, that was my plan too, until I had the frame done and I decided I did not want to take the engine out again (third time), so I am now building and will be riding it 'bare metal' before I decide to paint the tank and mudguards etc...

It has a certain appeal as well I think, but get riding first, then talk niceties such as colour and graphics...

Some minor progress today. I am finding that I am currently hampered by the postal service... awaiting parts and as soon as they arrive they go on the bike.:P

New leads and plug caps

Plugged the top reed vents, ingenious use of an old bearing! But that needs a better, more elegant solution later - maybe making new caps without vent holes...

Radiator on and fully connected.

Top Tip: when inserting the rad, connect the top hose to the rad first, then the bottom hose to the block, then slide the rad in and both hoses over their respective out/inlets.... if you don't connect the top hose to the rad first, you will struggle connecting it as there is VERY little room to work.

Battery box wired in, awaiting heat shrink sleeve to connect the wires to the M-Unit and battery

Then finally the headlight wire bundle. Looks worse than it is... really!

And notice the new horn underneath. More style over function as it sounds very crappy, but WTH, it looks better than anything else I have seen and the bike doesn't need an MOT so no biggie.

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 10 months ago #27032

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
Maybe a couple of these with spring clips?
1/2" heat resistant vacuum caps

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 10 months ago #27042

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes!

I'll go find some in UK.

Thanks!
Paul

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 10 months ago #27050

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ugh!

Did I mention I hate wiring? Well, I do, with a vengeance! Here's where I am at the mo... trying to get everything in and buttoned up. Then no doubt take it all apart again to trace some dodgy ground somewhere... anyway... onwards!

This actually looks as bad as it is! :S

Attachments:

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 10 months ago #27051

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
That looks manageable. Have you ever seen a telephone engineer working in one of those cabinets on the roadside? You really would have a headache if you had that many wires!

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds