Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26956

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
I do love those Mercs from that era with the stacked headlights. I've owned a couple of later Mercs from the 2000s & they're not in the same league in the build quality department anymore.
I recognise those rearsets as Tarozzi Paul, did they not come with the mounting plates?
Only dead fish go with the flow

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26962

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
On the last Chop I built (and it will be the last ! ) I went down the hidden wiring route by routing the harness through the frame tubes and then got really stuck into the idea and routed the switch gear wiring through the handlebars and also the throttle cable and clutch line too.
You obviously need to be very careful where you intend to drill holes in your frame tubes as its can obviously weaken the frame with drastic results !
To absolutely minimise the frame hole sizes, I used very Thin Wall Wiring as used on modern cars and can nearly half the width of the standard harness wiring and makes it much easier to route.

Its a lot more work to do it that way, but it does give the bike a very "clean and smooth" look and worth it in the end.
Maybe some inspiration and idea's for you in the video ?

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

Last edit: by strate6.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26964

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
That is awesome! I can imagine that was a LOT of work! But the result is there. Great looking Bike!

I might do me a vid like that when I'm done too... !

The handlebar switches have to be routed through the bars as they are designed that way, but I was not going to do the clutch, brake and throttle cables. I quite like that aspect.

If I bundle the wires and shrink tube them in black, I can make them almost invisible behind the rear legs, and the only section you can then possibly see is from the rear of the tank to the back of the engine... some 40cm. Not much.

..... and when I am doing 110mph, no one will see it! :woohoo:

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26972

• Bar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45

McBoney wrote: After staring at my abortion of a battery box for a while this morning I decided to leave the electrics alone today and focus on some mechanicals.

Fitted test handlebars (galvanised water pipes) to see how the brake MC, clutch and handles fit (they fit fine) and then put in the (Citroen Traction) headlight and tested where the new speedo could go with a jam jar lid of equal size.

i love the front fender!!
did you make it or Its aftermarket you can buy?

Then I fitted the front spat. Two bars was too unstable so I was going to do four stabiliser bars, but I broke two bits trying to get the RH Brake calliper bolt off before I gave up. It is stable enough and will all be painted black, so methinks no one will notice.

I have taken the bars off to paint and hopefully tomorrow they will go back on, permanently (yeah right, not likely!).

Last thing I did is spend fifteen minutes on the phone with a brake line manufacturer to have two front brake lines made... cant wait!

1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2002 Honda CBR954

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26973

• Bar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45

Bar wrote:

McBoney wrote: After staring at my abortion of a battery box for a while this morning I decided to leave the electrics alone today and focus on some mechanicals.

Fitted test handlebars (galvanised water pipes) to see how the brake MC, clutch and handles fit (they fit fine) and then put in the (Citroen Traction) headlight and tested where the new speedo could go with a jam jar lid of equal size.

I love the front fender Paul
did you make it or after market you can buy?

Then I fitted the front spat. Two bars was too unstable so I was going to do four stabiliser bars, but I broke two bits trying to get the RH Brake calliper bolt off before I gave up. It is stable enough and will all be painted black, so methinks no one will notice.

I have taken the bars off to paint and hopefully tomorrow they will go back on, permanently (yeah right, not likely!).

Last thing I did is spend fifteen minutes on the phone with a brake line manufacturer to have two front brake lines made... cant wait!

1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2002 Honda CBR954

Last edit: by Bar.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26974

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Type this into Ebay UK:

Short Front 120/70/17 Aluminium Mudguard Fender Cafe Racer Brat style Bobber.

The bars are made from stabilisers from an Ikea cabinet.... they come with metal bars that cross over each other at the back to give strength.
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bar

Last edit: by McBoney.
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds