Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26852

• Bar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45
looking good!!!
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2002 Honda CBR954

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26862

• Phil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1984 ZG1300-A1 DFI
  • Thank you received: 144
I somehow missed this build. Following with interest B) :)
Only dead fish go with the flow

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26871

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Hi all,

I installed the throttle and clutch cables, the overflow rubber pipe from rad to coolant bottle (freshly painted) and sorted the wiring for the regulator and the three coils.

But ... I think I may have a bit of an issue:

When putting the bike in (any) gear I cannot turn the rear wheel. I thought that was always possible - albeit heavy as one is turning against engine compression. I was not unduly worried, but now that I have installed the clutch cable, the same happens even when I depress the clutch. And surely, when depressing the clutch, the rear wheel should spin freely? Now I am worried something is amiss in the engine...

Thoughts anyone?

I was going to hook the starter up and see if the engine still spins, but obviously carries a risk if indeed something has gone down the bores or into the engine (can't see how though...)
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26873

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Hi,

You will not be able to turn the rear wheel with the bike in gear on most bikes, especially one with 6 cylinders and 1300cc !
This will only be possible in neutral..................

As your engine has not been ran for sometime, you may find even with the clutch IN, there maybe a lot of drag, as the clutch plates can stick together over time, until the engine is warmed up and you select gear for the first time (which can be a bit hairy !!) and best done with the front brake fully ON.
The 1300 rear wheel will never spin as "freely" like a chain drive bike, as the wheel has much more invloved in its drive train being a shaft drive and having a diff before the wheel.

Make sure you have adjusted the clutch correctly at the engine end as the manual states, using the screw adjuster and 12mm lock nut.

Pete F
UK
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Last edit: by strate6.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26875

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Thanks Pete, that makes me worry less. I shan’t turn it over and when ready to properly start I’ll make sure it’s on the centre stand and gear engagement won’t happen until fully warm!

Cheers
Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 3 years 11 months ago #26881

• Bar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45

McBoney wrote: Thanks Pete, that makes me worry less. I shan’t turn it over and when ready to properly start I’ll make sure it’s on the centre stand and gear engagement won’t happen until fully warm!

Cheers
Paul

Hi,

it should roll in gear with clutch.
try to put it on the wheels and push it in 6 gear with clutch.
its not easy as the bike is heavy but should work.

Eran
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2002 Honda CBR954

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds