Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 1 month ago #26140

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Staring to look like a bike! A complete rolling frame will be a big milestone. So, the question about the triple tree is still on..

What tire size did you go for? I think it would be easy to fit a bigger one with a simple modification (notching). But all is done now so no need to elaborate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 1 month ago #26141

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Having had the Cleaning Tool prototype and a one-of '"Spin-on Oil-Filter Adapter/Cooler" done CNC - THAT'S CHEAP !

100%

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 1 month ago #26147

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96

StanG wrote:

Having had the Cleaning Tool prototype and a one-of '"Spin-on Oil-Filter Adapter/Cooler" done CNC - THAT'S CHEAP !

That may be so, but it is still a lot of un-budgeted money which at this point I don't have and don't wish to spend.

Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 1 month ago #26150

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I didn't write that! Wrong quote.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 1 month ago #26213

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Ok, progress... of sorts.

I found a top yoke from an MV Agusta which has virtually the same dimensions as I need. I say virtually as the two holes for the forks are 5mm closer together than the bottom yoke. The offset is the same, as is the thickness and the steering pin hole.

So I took a chance on a very cheap damaged one to see if it would fit. With a little squeezing together of the tops of the forks, it did! The bottom of the forks moved out by about 3/4 of a centimetre and when I fitted the front wheel plus spindle (with clamp on one side and screw-in on the other) it pulled it in by 1/2 of a cm and the rest I 'corrected' by inserting a shim on one side.

Result: wheel running true and proper, centred, and a cheaper solution that getting my own yoke manufactured.... by at least £400!

I'll now get another yoke that is in good nick and will then await the front tyre. And of course I have to make the sleeve for the steering pin (see other thread).

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 1 month ago #26215

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
It sounds as though there is some mis-alignment between the yoke and the wheel spindle, due , I guess, to the centre to centre spacing of the stanchion holes in the yoke being different to original. I’d be concerned that this might cause friction within the fork sliders , unless the slider with the clamp can accommodate the difference in spacing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Last edit: by biltonjim.
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds