Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #21680

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96

StanG wrote: Could you post a photo of the bike at the current state? People here LOVE photos! And it also makes advising easier.

Here you go Stan, one pic of the engine on its side on my home made stand, and two of the bike frame, sitting outside until I can get the engine back in and then I'll start thinking on how to modify that.

I did not get anywhere today as I had an electrical issue with fuses blowing all the time on the KZ1000P. That took a while to trace and rectify... I hate intermittent, electrical faults!

Paul

Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: StanG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #21683

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Nice progress! Good to see a stripped frame. Is it going to be repainted or is it in a good shape and will stay as is? I guess you will be checking the wheels etc. At this stage, going this far, it's definitely recommended to revisit all the bearings. Looking at the drive shaft coupling and the swing arm adjusting plates - they are rusty. I'd definitely recommend servicing all the parts, including triple tree etc. If not changing the bearings themselves, they need repacking with fresh grease. But the seals might be brittle as well, and they usually come in a set with bearings and not expensive, so why not replace all while you have assess to them!
Cheers! Stan

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #21686

• Koba
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Paul
As of now, due to transportation cost, registration issue, parking issue etc, I can not take my Z1300 to uk.
I’m looking for agencies but I cannot find them.

When I go there, May I come to see your project?
I want to make a lot of friends in UK.
Z1300 A-4 Gifu,Japan

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #21689

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Stan,

The frame is in excellent condition, but depending on what the final product needs to look like, be stripped of all brackets that are no longer needed, and other bits may be cut off/welded on. I am currently thinking of fitting Ohlins upside down front forks with uprated brakes, and depending on the length of the forks and the new arrangement on the rear suspension, may need to adjust the triple tree arrangement.

It will definitely be taken to all its component bits and whatever needs to will be replaced/serviced and really will be a project in itself!

This will involve building the bike up with engine in and all the bits bolted on. Then, when I am happy with what it looks like, take the whole thing apart again, paint and build back up.

.... like I said, this is going to be a long project! ;)

Koba, just drop me a line at the time.

Paul

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #21759

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I just got the first lot of bits back from the 'industrial' oven. Looking very nice, particularly the silver Simoniz paint. The grey top just needs a clear coat or two which will make the colour slightly darker and makes it glossy.

Quick mock-up pics attached.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen, Kawboy

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 5 months ago #21761

• biltonjim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 242
The contrasting camshaft cover finish is attractive.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds