Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 8 months ago #24792

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Right, tyre issues set aside for now. I will probably buy a new complete front end off something that measures up to the existing set up and that WILL be different than standard. I have a more urgent issue now.

In order to see whether I can cut the frame where I want to, to accommodate the new seat etc, I need to drop the engine into the frame. Ha, easier said than done!

Here is the engine on a workbench ready to be winched up.

Here is the bike awaiting the engine

The issue is that the engine height from top cam cover to bottom of the sump is greater than the hole in the frame! (Doh). I'm going to have to take the sump off to gain approx 2.5 inches and then manipulate the engine slightly tilted forwards to get it in the frame... I think a three-man job!

Has anyone else done this before? Any tips greatly received.

Btw, how were these built at the factory?

Tomorrow I will bring my engine-building frame in, drop the engine onto that and remove the sump. See what happens. :unsure:

Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by McBoney.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 8 months ago #24793

• Bucko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
You may find it easier more manageable to put the motor on it's side and lower the frame onto it. Easier when the forks and swingarm are off the frame.
Hello from Canada's We(s)t coast.

Last edit: by Bucko.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 8 months ago #24795

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ah, that is an interesting idea!

Front fork removal is easy, rear swingarm maybe a little more difficult, but will investigate tomorrow. Even if the swingarm remains, taking the rear wheel and shocks off will make it lighter.

In any case, still a two/three man job I think.

Thank you!
Paul

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 8 months ago #24799

• McBoney
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ok, got the wheels off. I decided against removing the swing arm as it felt fine and I know from this forum it is a b*tch to remove. So Ibanded it up and now the chassis can be handled by two people whilst a third manipulates the engine in - which has the oil pan now removed.

Chassis without wheels

Bit of rust in rear wheel hub

Rear wheel with brake calliper stuck on the disc (more rust)

Engine with sump removed

Plan is to try insert the engine into the frame by manipulating the frame over the engine lying on its side.. we'll see how we go.

Paul
Attachments:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 8 months ago #24800

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
Manual shows it going in from the side with engine hung from a shop crane. That’s how I did it with one helper. No issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawboy

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 4 years 8 months ago #24801

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Frank833 wrote: Manual shows it going in from the side with engine hung from a shop crane. That’s how I did it with one helper. No issues.

Same here. Followed the manual and using a chain hoist, removed/reinstalled the engine. It's tight and little wiggle room but it came out and went back in with the oil pan on.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds