Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #23213

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Paul:

There seem to be quite a few blocks for sale on ebay UK and ebay US. Almost cheaper to buy one in US, ship it to one of your guys who can keep the block but send me the valves

That's exactly what I had been doing. Not just with engine parts but also body parts - buying a bundle to keep only one part needed. That's pretty much the only viable way to salvage cylinder sleeves if you need one. Hell, I know people buy whole engines and whole bikes to get some parts and sell the rest! haha I'd be doing the same, except cross border shopping, shipping and transport are a big obstacle.

Buying the whole head is an option, but - what if a couple valves are of no use? You're back to searching for valves and have a cylinder head on hands. Personally, I'd get those $45 valves, it's not much if converted to pounds and worth a try in my opinion. See what's good, and follow up with getting missing valves - if a couple needed Kawasaki sells brand new exhaust valves. Or, people have single used valves, like I suggested and offered. Or - follow up with ordering a whole head from the USA and utilize any valves. These cylinder heads are pretty cool, so you could always clean it up and play with it, eventually making it a spare one or one for sale. I'f you end up with a few spare good valves, that as the story tells wouldn't be a bad thing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBoney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #23214

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
If you get a head, be sure to get the cam caps with it. You cannot swap those without machining. While the price of that machining is not out of hand, it’s more than most any used head costs.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #23215

• StanG
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 248
Frank - this just crossed my mind and I came back quickly to mention the exact same thing!

One other piece for the picture - those valves from getor-shop. I've done almost 2000 km on my bike with them installed and all is good. So, I'd say they work. So far at least.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #23217

• Frank833
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 89
No idea if they are any good (look tired), but there is as set of 11 used valves on ebay for $45. Search for "KZ1300, Z1300 - VALVES, SPRINGS INCOMPLETE". They are in California.

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #23218

• McBoney
  • McBoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Lifted my mood considerably! :cheer:

If anything get sent from Can/US to UK and the value is stated to be over £25, it attracts duty, but only over the stated value. So if Kawboy would send me a block and states the value is USD 50, then I'd only pay 5% over that plus the transport costs (never understood why duty is levied over transport costs!). Still an option, if we find the right block at the right price. And thank you for offering!

Getor came back with a quote for 12 new valves for £291 delivered, so expensive. But thanks Stan for letting me know they are OK quality-wise.

I did see the incomplete set for USD 45, but they looked rough... but perhaps worth taking a punt on.

I'll wait to see if Oz comes back with something he has manage to salvage and then make a decision.

Thanks again all! I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
Paul
Six-Pot-Cafe in the making...

Another basket case project, but with potentially a different end goal! 5 years 2 months ago #23219

• Vilhelm
  • Thank you received: 5
Well Paul I am sorry to read about your misfortune. I have checked the parts cataloque and it looks like the valves for the carburetor models and the injection models are not identical, as they have different part numbers. So if you buy some used valves from Ebay or elsewhere be sure they are the right ones.
If you chose to buy new, MCG in Germany has both org. Kawasaki valves and reproduction valves. Org. Kawasaki intake valve is 51.50 EUR and reproduction is 29.90 EUR. so even the reproduction valves are not exactly cheap.

Time to create page: 1.024 seconds